Anticipating Christmas

 I have always loved Christmas! I love how we celebrated as a family growing up and have carried some of those traditions/memories into my family.  I love the music, the lights, the decorations, the anticipation to Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. When we were expecting EK, I remember talking about how we might celebrate Christmas. We both agreed we wanted to keep it simple and focus on the birth of Jesus. EK's regression in the fall of 2008 caused me to really simplify things. Many things were upsetting to her. Our activities and traditions have changed a little over the years as the kids have grown. When EK and AC were small, we read stories about Jesus's birth and Christmas, played with our Fisher Price Nativity set and listened to Christmas music. I've tried to add a new thing or two each year, while some things are EVERY year. The kids ALWAYS get a pair of Christmas pajamas, we drive around looking at Christmas lights with hot chocolate/coffee, we make Christmas cookies, the kids get a new ornament to remember something from that year and we make monkey bread for Christmas breakfast. :) We almost always attend Christmas Eve service too, although this year will be different. 

Some other things we've done over the years...
*I wrapped 24 Christmas books I had and the kids opened one a day to read.
*We have made ornaments.
*Operation Christmas Child boxes.
*I ask my kids to find 2-3 toys they are willing to give away.
*We did a Christmas Light scavenger hunt one year.
*AC and I memorized Luke 2:1-14

One thing I hope to do in the future is take AC and EJ to see the Nutcracker. It just hasn't worked out to attend a performance yet. 

As I think of what to do this year, I am reminding myself to keep it simple. Our kids are 14, 13, 9 and 5 this year. If I plan too much, I'll be stressed. Stressed is not a word I want my kids to use to describe me. I want them to remember Christmas being a joyful time! I know my limits and I don't feel the need to impress anyone. :) 

Here are a few things I plan to do this Christmas season
*Adventures in Odyssey Countdown to Christmas cd's  (My kids LOVE AIO and there is an episode...or part of an episode...to listen to each day leading up to Christmas)
*make cookies for our neighbors
*Christmas caroling to neighbors and friends
*make a couple ornaments with AK and EJ during school
*use our Christmas dishes every evening for something new
*do something to help someone less fortunate
*watch several Christmas movies
*names of Jesus ornaments on small tree
* daily advent cards our church made last year 
*listen to lots of Christmas music
*drive around to look at Christmas lights

I may add another thing or two, but this is a good start. We daily talk about the real meaning of Christmas. EJ at age 5 is so excited about what presents she will get. While I love her excitement, I also try to gently remind her what Christmas is really about. If I'm not intentional and purposeful, my kids might be distracted by all the decorations, presents and fun. There is nothing wrong with family time, helping others and just having fun. But if that's my main thing, I've missed the fact that Jesus Christ, the second person of the Trinity, left the glories of Heaven to be born as a baby to become Immanuel...God with us. Don't miss the HOPE that brings us....especially in this crazy year of uncertainty. At Christmas time, we celebrate Jesus's first coming many years ago and we anticipate His second coming. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...