Winter Storm 2011

Wow! What crazy weather we have been having here in Texas! Makes me think for a second that I'm back up north...although, I've heard they have quite a bit of snow up there right now too. :) On Monday, we had business as usual. Instead of therapy, EK had her yearly well-check exam. (side note: I LOVE my pediatrician. I am thankful I can voice all my concerns and he listens and then gives his thoughts, which are usually right in line what I wanted.) EK did very well there. We put her on a small amount of medicine to help her focus more at school and she was a different child at the doctor office. This is the first time she has willingly stood on the scale to be weighed without crying and she also laid down so we could measure her (since she stands on her toes, we knew the length wouldn't be accurate on the scale.) What a relief it was for me to have her so calm! :) Anyway, after that we took her to school. She had a good day there, even with a substitute. AC and I ran a couple errands, including the grocery store, because we heard there was a chance of snow/ice. Normally that doesn't amount to anything.
In the middle of the night, the freezing rain woke up AC. It was a little hard to sleep. Rain on the roof is one thing, freezing rain pelting the roof is another. Since the temps were well below freezing, the rain quickly turned to ice. Snow followed a couple hours later. Obviously, school was cancelled on Tuesday, mainly because of the ice. Keith tried later that day to get out, but he said the roads were HORRIBLE. We just don't have much equipment here, so the salt/sand trucks we do have take care of all the highways. The residential areas don't get anything. Because the temps were the coldest we've had in years (teens and below with windchill!), the ice had no way of melting. It soon became evident that we were stuck for several days. Earlier this week, I was hopeful that the weather would warm up by Friday. Good thing, I am not a meteorologist! :)
Here's a picture out our front door on Tuesday morning...I really didn't think it'd stick around.

Here's a picture out our back door on Tuesday.

So, I'm not one to stay home much. I am not a homebody, unless I choose to be once in a while. Today is snow day #4. You read that right. After Monday, we haven't had any school this week! Yesterday I was trying to find ways to entertain the girls rather than having them watch a ton of TV. Thanks to Uncle Jon, Aunt Katie and cousin Maddie we played in the tent/tunnel. I am glad I hadn't gotten it out yet, so it was something new and exciting! :) AC was thrilled!!!



EK loved to just lay in it. She has always loved tight/dark spaces!


Last night, the weatherman was predicting snow...several inches. They were right. We have more snow now!! We didn't let AC go out earlier this week b/c it was SOO cold. It's not that much warmer, but I decided today we'd go out for a few minutes. She was very excited! (Doesn't take much for this girl!) Mind you, we still have a layer of ice under the snow, so the roads are pretty bad still. Keith may need to venture out later today to the grocery store though. I didn't plan to be stuck home this long!!!




Here's EK outside. She thought it was pretty neat, until she slipped on the ice at the bottom of our driveway. We went in right after...



Again, a happy AC! She wanted to make a snowball but it's not good packing snow. I got her to come in willingly by offering a cup of hot cocoa. :)


So, we are going on day 4 of being at home. EK is doing pretty well, seeing that her routine has really been messed up. We are staying in pj's for a good part of the day and not doing much of anything. It's kind of nice having things slow down, especially since Keith's been home with us.
Now the question is whether it'll warm up enough tomorrow to melt some of the ice. I really need to go to Sprouts (health food store) tomorrow to get more food for EK. We've been letting her have some "real" food since I don't have much of her gluten/dairy/egg free stuff. Here's hoping that I'll be able to get out for a little bit, maybe by tomorrow afternoon! :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...