Summer!

I just got EK off the bus a few hours ago and it's now officially summer. I have mixed feelings about it. I'm excited to not wake up at 6:30 to get her up and ready for the bus, but as I've said before, EK thrives on routine and structure. Who wants to really structure summer days? We'll try to get out of the house occasionally, but it's so much harder when I have to keep up with her and AK. (He's into a very independent phase right now and has no fear.) It's so much work to go to the playground and even the grocery store.
In the past, EK has gone to ESY (extended school year) for several mornings a week for half the summer. It was perfect as it gave her some routine and structure and also allowed me to run a few errands with just 2 kids. :) I had my ARD (meeting with teacher/assistant prinicipal/diagnostician) earlier this week and they said she doesn't qualify for it this summer. I told them I disagree with their decision, but knew there wasn't anything I could do to change their mind. They are basing it on the fact that she didn't show any regression of skills after one of the breaks this year. I reminded them that she's really made no progress either. I know our district has made budget cuts and I'm all for being fiscally responsible, but I'm downright disappointed that my daughter is the one that suffers. I feel like teachers in the past did all they could so my daughter could benefit from ESY. Her teacher said in the meeting on Tuesday that she has made a little progress the past six weeks of school and that if she loses those skills over the summer, she'll qualify for next summer. Really?? So you're going to take a chance that she will lose the skills. UGH! Maybe her teacher did try to find a way for her to qualify and admin just made it too difficult. Regardless, I'm unhappy with the outcome.
On the plus side, we're going to try and add another session of horse therapy. I think she'll really enjoy that. We also have VBS in a couple weeks and several play dates planned. AC has swim lessons one week. I am thankful that our parents are here, if I need some help too. That was the hardest thing about being in UT for a month last summer. Hopefully it'll be a fun summer and it won't be too upsetting for EK. That's what I'm praying for!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...