Change of plans
A week and a half ago, Keith, AC, AK and I were scheduled to leave for Baltimore for a few days. The Southern Baptist Convention was there so we decided to take along the 2 younger ones and do some fun things while we were in that area. This was going to be our first time to leave EK with a babysitter by herself. Keith and I have left the kids a few times, but EK was always with her siblings and usually it was my parents (and Keith's parents) who kept them. I love the babysitter that we had asked to stay with EK and completely trusted her, but I was still a little anxious about leaving EK. While I was nervous, I was also very excited to take the other two on a trip. Neither one had been on a plane and they were excited about that. Once church was over and we gave EK over to the babysitter, we headed to the airport. I had spent weeks planning and preparing: plans for the babysitter, packing, cleaning the house, organizing things the babysitter would need, etc. I was ready to get away for a few days! On the way to the airport, I got a text that our flight had been delayed. That was actually a blessing and allowed us to park and still not be rushed. We checked one bag and then went through security. Once we knew where our gate was, we grabbed some lunch. For some reason our tickets were all randomly placed around the plane, so as soon as Keith saw someone at the gate, he went over. While he was there, I got another text saying our flight was canceled. I wasn't too upset b/c I figured the airline would still get us to Baltimore that evening some other way. Keith soon came back over to tell me the flight had been cancelled for mechanical issues (which by the way, I've never had a plane cancel ahead of the flight time...I've always had to sit on the plane, it seems.) Keith was sent to another gate to try and get us another flight. While in line, a guy told him he'd been on the phone with AA and there were no other open flights to Baltimore that evening. Keith came over to where we were sitting so we could decide what to do. While it's not what I wanted, we decided to cancel our trip. We weren't sure if we could get out the next day. Even if we had made it to Baltimore by Monday evening, Monday was supposed to be our sight-seeing day. We had planned to go into DC and maybe Gettysburg. AC was very sad. She really wanted to ride on the plane. AK didn't really understand what was happening. (He was excited just to see the airplanes.) While I tried to explain to AC why we couldn't go, it was good for my soul to hear what I know to be true. I told her that God had a reason to keep us here. Perhaps EK was going to get sick or hurt or maybe that would've happened to one of us. We believe that God is in control and that He knows all things. As parents, we need to not just say the right thing, but our actions need to match it. I was disappointed about our trip as well, and told her, but also told her that I trust God. It was a learning experience for all of us.
Hoping we can plan to take another trip in a few months and that those plans will actually work out! :)
Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.
Hoping we can plan to take another trip in a few months and that those plans will actually work out! :)
Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.
Comments
Post a Comment