Sweet EK
Last Thursday EK got an award for Integrity from her teacher. It was a big pep rally to congratulate several 3rd and 4th graders. AC and I went to cheer EK on. (As a side note, I was so impressed that she sat quietly the entire time..at least from where we were sitting.)
We love our EK! She is such a sweet girl with a contagious smile and giggle.
However, there are many challenges that come along with having a special needs daughter. There are things I worry about that I don't with my other three. Since she can't tell me if something hurts or is bothering her, I have to go on symptoms I see or odd behavior. A few weeks ago it looked like she'd chipped an eye tooth so I took her to the dentist earlier this week. She indeed did but he said it was ok. He was willing to file it down if it was cutting her tongue or lip. Since it's not, I decided to hold off the traumatic experience. Eventually we'll have to put her under again for dental work and he can file it then.
Her teachers have said she's been acting different the past 2 week. On Tuesday I couldn't get her to drink anything (so I was guessing a sore throat). I finally got her to eat some watermelon which allowed me to stress less about if she drank. After some strange behavior yesterday at school, I decided to take her to the doctor this morning. Throat, ears and nose look good but he did a strep culture anyway. That was negative so now I'm wondering if it's reflux. I really try not to overreact when she has a new behavior and I need to get back into keeping a journal. She started spitting weeks ago. While I'm thankful she's not grinding her teeth quite as much, spitting is not an appropriate behavior. She's also been spitting out her drink more and putting her fingers in her mouth.
I wish I knew what we were dealing with or if it's just some strange phase she's going through. Maybe 12 year old molars? Reflux? An OCD behavior? Something else? It's such a puzzle and I feel completely inadequate as a mom. I'm supposed to help her and I feel like I am failing. I don't want to put her on medications when I'm not sure what it is. I've been praying the Lord would give me insight and wisdom. He definitely gives me the strength to do this mom thing. I just wish I was more in tune with her needs. I really wish she could tell me. I'm trying to not worry but it's frustrating to not have answers. If you've read all this, I'd love for you to pray that we'll either figure out what's going on or she'd stop the spitting/other odd behavior. This autism journey is such a roller coaster...Thankful the Lord goes with us.
I want you to know that I will pray specifically that God gives you wisdom to figure out these new behaviors of EK's. I'm so thankful that you are leaning on Him to guide and direct you. I know His grace is sufficient. We love you guys!
ReplyDelete