EK's progress...

Since this is kind of my journal, I want to remember some of the little successes for EK. It's all too easy to get caught up in how behind she is, what she doesn't do, how AC has been doing something for months now, etc.
**The past 2 days she's said "watch a movie". That's a big deal. Usually she doesn't request anything. She'll either turn on the TV herself or she'll wait for AC to do it. Both days I have praised her for it and rewarded her with a movie. :)
**She has gone on the potty at preschool 4 days in a row now. WOW! I haven't pushed potty training with her in several months b/c she just wasn't getting it. The past month has been devoted to AC's potty training (which is going very well). I'm excited that perhaps she's starting to understand the concept of going on the potty. I'm sure it will take a while, but it's a step in the right direction.
**She worked on a puzzle with me today for a few minutes. For the past couple months, she wouldn't even hold the puzzle piece. She'd throw it as soon as she touched it. Today she held the piece in her hand for at least 15 seconds and attempted to put several pieces in the right spot. It's so hard to know why today was different, but I'll take it!
**She had a GREAT day at preschool! Worked on different tasks, went to OT, went on the potty. I couldn't be more proud! (And Ms. Sharla was excited too!)
**She's answering us more often when we ask her her name and how old she is.
**She knows 2 of her teachers names.
**She's in bed before 8pm and doesn't get out anymore. She doesn't always fall asleep right away but as long as she stays in her room, I'm happy!
**She's trying new foods. Tonight she ate beef stew. Quite a bit of it too, I might add.

Things I really want to work on over the next couple months:
**taking her out in public with no meltdown (to the store, restaurant, etc)
**getting her to make more requests/building her language
**potty training
**holding a crayon/marker to color a little bit
(There's a LOT of things I could put, but I'm going to try to be intentional about these 4 things.)

Comments

  1. That is great progress for sweet EK!! So excited to hear how well she's doing - even if it is in the small stuff (but some of it isn't so small!! woohoo!)! Praying for all of you and for continued progress in the next few months!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates on EK!! We'll be praying for those 4 things specifically. You are such a wonderful Mommy. :) Love you girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Melissa! That is such great news! Thanks for sharing in all the little victories. To God be the Glory!!!! What an encouragement your little EK is to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, praise God for your spirit of recognizing the accomplishments of EK. They aren't little, they are exceptional!!! It is so easy as a parent(especially a previous educator) to have expectations of our children on the world's view of success. God designed EK for His purpose and blessed you, Keith, and EK to be in the same family. HE trusted you with her and her with you. It is admirable of you to set boundaries for yourself,in your goals for her. She is beautiful both inside and outside. Enjoy today!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so wonderful to read about all of EK's progress and accomplishments! We will continue to keep you all in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. each new thing may be small to you..but big to ek.......how exciting to hear of her progress...keep on keeping on momma!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...