Little things to smile about
Raising toddlers and preschoolers is hard. I feel like I never get enough sleep anymore. The girls are a blessing, but this stage is just a lot of work. There have been a couple things this week that have made me smile though.
Tuesday night, my younger brother stopped by for a few minutes. He ended up staying for dinner. While we were eating at the table, EK starting yelling and I worried that she was going to have a meltdown. I looked at her and told her she was ok. When Keith and Steven looked at her too, she started laughing. She did this several more times in an attempt to get everyone's attention. She was also giggling the whole time Steven was here. AC asked Uncle Steven, "So what are you doing Steven?" She tries so hard to be an adult. My girls love their Uncle Steven.
The next day, EK's therapist came for her ABA session. We had just gotten home from a lunch playdate and I hadn't put AC down for her nap yet. I mentioned that my brother had come over the evening before and commented on how well EK had done with him here. AC replied, "Yeah, we like him a lot." :)
Yesterday was a HORRIBLE day for EK. They had a sub for a little while and apparently she didn't like her (or maybe it was the fact that Ms. Sharla had left). She settled down after a bit, but didn't want to work much during teacher time. We had a lunch playdate at McD's in between school and ABA therapy. She did rather well at McD's...only a few minor protests when I told her she couldn't have my food. Her ABA session was terrible! I haven't heard her cry/yell that much in a LONG time. I'm able to watch what's going on from a camera that we hook up to my TV and it was one of those days that I just wanted to run in and stop the session. I didn't...I restrained myself, but I just felt bad for EK and her therapist. I'm not sure why yesterday was such a bad day.
Today was a FANTASTIC day though. She had a great day at preschool. Her teacher is working on sorting objects with her and today while sorting blocks and puzzle pieces she said "block" 2 times. Her teacher hadn't requested or prompted her to. Of course, if she had, EK probably wouldn't have done it as a control thing. The really sweet part was when I tried to get her to say "bye". I touched her elbow to try and get her to wave, but instead EK put her hand to her mouth to BLOW KISSES! AWWWW! It was so cute! :) I think it made Ms. Sharla's day too.
She also had a really good ABA session this afternoon. Very happy, laughing, and willing to work. What a great day! :) I know everyday won't be as good as today, so I'm going to be thankful for this day.
Tuesday night, my younger brother stopped by for a few minutes. He ended up staying for dinner. While we were eating at the table, EK starting yelling and I worried that she was going to have a meltdown. I looked at her and told her she was ok. When Keith and Steven looked at her too, she started laughing. She did this several more times in an attempt to get everyone's attention. She was also giggling the whole time Steven was here. AC asked Uncle Steven, "So what are you doing Steven?" She tries so hard to be an adult. My girls love their Uncle Steven.
The next day, EK's therapist came for her ABA session. We had just gotten home from a lunch playdate and I hadn't put AC down for her nap yet. I mentioned that my brother had come over the evening before and commented on how well EK had done with him here. AC replied, "Yeah, we like him a lot." :)
Yesterday was a HORRIBLE day for EK. They had a sub for a little while and apparently she didn't like her (or maybe it was the fact that Ms. Sharla had left). She settled down after a bit, but didn't want to work much during teacher time. We had a lunch playdate at McD's in between school and ABA therapy. She did rather well at McD's...only a few minor protests when I told her she couldn't have my food. Her ABA session was terrible! I haven't heard her cry/yell that much in a LONG time. I'm able to watch what's going on from a camera that we hook up to my TV and it was one of those days that I just wanted to run in and stop the session. I didn't...I restrained myself, but I just felt bad for EK and her therapist. I'm not sure why yesterday was such a bad day.
Today was a FANTASTIC day though. She had a great day at preschool. Her teacher is working on sorting objects with her and today while sorting blocks and puzzle pieces she said "block" 2 times. Her teacher hadn't requested or prompted her to. Of course, if she had, EK probably wouldn't have done it as a control thing. The really sweet part was when I tried to get her to say "bye". I touched her elbow to try and get her to wave, but instead EK put her hand to her mouth to BLOW KISSES! AWWWW! It was so cute! :) I think it made Ms. Sharla's day too.
She also had a really good ABA session this afternoon. Very happy, laughing, and willing to work. What a great day! :) I know everyday won't be as good as today, so I'm going to be thankful for this day.
Having little kids is definitely a tough but rewarding season. I will give you a good hardy "Amen, sister!" on that one. Have you ever heard that quote about raising little kids - "The days can seem so long, but the years pass by quickly." So, so true... Love you, girl!
ReplyDelete