My reading goal

I don't do New Year's Resolutions anymore. I used to, but realized I never stuck with them. Never got to the end of a year and completed the things I had said I would back on January 1st. Instead, I decided that I would set a goal to read one book a month. That might make some of you smile...one book? Just one?? Well, I'm not much of a reader anymore. It's not the first thing I do to relax, even though I know it's probably a much better way to spend my "free time".

Last year, when we thought that EK had autism, I read like CRAZY!! I wanted to read what other moms did. I wanted to know about why doctors think some interventions help. I wanted to try and understand what had happened to my baby girl. I think it helped me grieve. I realized I wasn't alone in this journey...that other parents/children had been down this road already. Some of the books I read gave me hope. There are stories about some kids who recover to the point of losing their diagnosis. I don't know if that's what God has in store for our sweet girl, but it was so encouraging to know that there was a chance! I needed that when I was overwhelmed with sadness. A lot of books gave me strategies to try with EK. Some books helped me sort through the MANY options that are out there in regards to treatment. In the beginning, there's a lot to take in!

Anyway, like I said, I read a lot of books about autism. While they were helpful during a dark time of my life, the thing that gave me the most hope was my relationship with the Lord. Reading my Bible gave me hope, even though I didn't always turn there first. The Bible reminds me how much God loves me, that He is sovereign and in control, and that His plan is so much bigger than what I see right now. I know and am comforted by the fact that "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

So, the main point of this post is to explain why I'll be reviewing some books. I'm going to try to read one book a month (Yes, I'm already behind...) that will encourage me in my christian walk. Obviously, this is in addition to the Bible. I'm almost done with my first book, so stay tuned for the review in a couple days. It's a good one! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...