EK starts Kindergarten
EK started school this past week. Can't believe my firstborn is old enough for Kindergarten! EK will be in the STACC class most of the day, but will go to co-curr (music/PE) with a Kindergarten class. Some parents push for more inclusion, but I think STACC (class for kids with autism) is the best place for her. I do want her to be around typical kids, however, she needs a lot of one-on-one for learning to occur.
It was so hard for me to miss her first day of school. I did have a little mommy guilt, but there wasn't much I could do about it. Keith left the hospital early Monday morning so he could go home and get her ready. He said she was a little sad when he dropped her off at 8am. Later that day, her teacher Ms. Colleen sent me this picture. Looks like a happy girl to me! :) She seems to be adjusting really well to a new classroom, new school, new teachers and some new friends. What a big accomplishment for her!
Keith took her every morning and picked her up since I wasn't supposed to drive right away. It's hard not getting lots of details about her day. Last year, AC and I picked her up every afternoon and chatted with Ms. Sharla for a minute or two. Her teacher this year, Ms. Mandi, sends home a mini-report about what she worked on. That's helpful, but it's hard when your daughter can't tell you anything about her day. It's a fine line with being a mom and being an annoying parent. :)
Anyway, it was just the first week. Ms. Mandi is figuring out EK and I'm sure EK is trying to figure out Ms. Mandi. :) Here's a few more pictures of my sweet girl! (Thanks Ms. Colleen!)
Teacher time with Ms. Mandi
It was so hard for me to miss her first day of school. I did have a little mommy guilt, but there wasn't much I could do about it. Keith left the hospital early Monday morning so he could go home and get her ready. He said she was a little sad when he dropped her off at 8am. Later that day, her teacher Ms. Colleen sent me this picture. Looks like a happy girl to me! :) She seems to be adjusting really well to a new classroom, new school, new teachers and some new friends. What a big accomplishment for her!
Keith took her every morning and picked her up since I wasn't supposed to drive right away. It's hard not getting lots of details about her day. Last year, AC and I picked her up every afternoon and chatted with Ms. Sharla for a minute or two. Her teacher this year, Ms. Mandi, sends home a mini-report about what she worked on. That's helpful, but it's hard when your daughter can't tell you anything about her day. It's a fine line with being a mom and being an annoying parent. :)
Anyway, it was just the first week. Ms. Mandi is figuring out EK and I'm sure EK is trying to figure out Ms. Mandi. :) Here's a few more pictures of my sweet girl! (Thanks Ms. Colleen!)
Teacher time with Ms. Mandi
In other EK news, she's been making a few sounds again. Sometimes she'll say "dee-dee" which Keith says is "Daddy". :) She will smile when she says it around him. Occasionally she'll say "hi" or "hey". Praying that more sounds will follow. It's been so long since she's really spoken. It really makes me sad when AC says she doesn't remember her sister talking. AC loves watching home videos so she's seen some where EK is talking. It makes me sad to watch them as well. Crazy how much she's regressed in language!
Falling asleep at night is horrible right now. I don't know why it's so bad, but she yells/cries for a good 30 minutes before getting quiet. Tonight I sat in her room to help her fall asleep faster. (She had a rough night last night and was WAY overtired by 6:30 tonight). She did fall asleep within 15 minutes and I had baby brother in there with us. Life has gotten a little more complicated with 3 kids, but we're figuring it out. :)
Trying to get an appointment with a neurologist about her toe walking. We got some night splints back in April to help stretch her calves. I think she walks higher on her toes now. The next thing to try(suggested by several occupational therapists and physical therapist) is botox injections in her calves. The idea is that she won't be able to get up on her toes so she'll stretch the muscles. Hopefully by the time the injections wear off, she'll walk less on her toes. I am a little hesitant about the procedure but will ask the neurologist all my questions when we get in to see him.
Last Sunday was promotion Sunday at church. Both girls moved up to a new class. EK has a teacher that moves up with her, Ms. Trisha. She said that EK had a great Sunday in the new room. EK moved up with the same group of kids, but has 2 new teachers besides Ms. Trisha. I am so thankful that the transition went well, especially since I wasn't there.
I think that's all. I'm going to try to update on EK at least once a month. I know some of you appreciate knowing how to specifically pray for us and her. :)
She is so beautiful Melissa. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed just parenting one sweet, easy little boy and then I read your blog and I'm instantly ashamed. You exhibit so much grace, peace and patience parenting three little ones... one with special needs. I know He gives us the strength to handle the tasks He give us and I know He must be very proud of you! I just read your previous post too. Andrew is gorgeous! Congratulations again! Keith looks like such a proud Papa! :o) Jackie
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful update on ek...i am so thankful to hear the steps she's taking...good news to you momma of her first day and all went well...her pictures are darling...she's beautiful and always has been....and the comment of being an annoying parent...hahhah not you....never your too sweet....love that ac is so attentive to her sister...very sweet miss you guys....love baby ak's pictures..he's beautiful....
ReplyDelete