4th summer of ESY
On Monday, I put EK on the bus around 7:40am to send her to ESY (extended school year). This is her 4th year to go, but it was her first time to ride the bus there. In the past, I always drove her there. For those who aren't familiar with ESY, it's primary goal is to keep special needs students in the routine of going to school and to retain some things they learned the past year. It's very laid-back. They only go Monday through Thursday from 8:30-11:30. For the past 3 summers, EK has had the same ESY teacher. We don't communicate much during the school year, but I decided to e-mail her Sunday afternoon to see if she was going to be with EK again this summer. To my relief, she replied with "YES!". That really made it easier to put her on the bus Monday morning. She has a different bus driver and aide, but they seem nice. EK didn't seem to mind the change and willingly went on the bus with no protest. :)
Ms. Jen called me Monday afternoon to fill me in on their first morning together. (I realize I am spoiled and am so thankful for a teacher who cares this much about my daughter to do so!) She told me all the good things EK did that morning, how calm and peaceful she was, how she sat at circle time, listened to some directions, etc. I am glad that EK seems to be enjoying ESY so far. I know EK likes structure and routine and I know she remembers Ms. Jen. (And Ms. Jen knows how to interact with EK to get the best out of her.)
She will go this week and next, have a week off for the 4th of July and then go for another month. Then she will have a 2 week break before the regular school year begins.
Ms. Jen called me Monday afternoon to fill me in on their first morning together. (I realize I am spoiled and am so thankful for a teacher who cares this much about my daughter to do so!) She told me all the good things EK did that morning, how calm and peaceful she was, how she sat at circle time, listened to some directions, etc. I am glad that EK seems to be enjoying ESY so far. I know EK likes structure and routine and I know she remembers Ms. Jen. (And Ms. Jen knows how to interact with EK to get the best out of her.)
She will go this week and next, have a week off for the 4th of July and then go for another month. Then she will have a 2 week break before the regular school year begins.
Comments
Post a Comment