Dental Surgery update
It's been 2 days since EK had her dental surgery. We were scheduled for 8:30am but it ended up being a little later due to a one year old who needed emergency surgery. EK went back a little after 9am. The anesthesiologist was good about explaining things and asking if I had any questions. He assured me he was being as conservative as possible on medications. They gave her a shot to put her to sleep before they put the IV in. After they took x-rays, she ended up needing more work that we initally thought. Two teeth needed crowns because the cavity was too big to be filled. She also got 6 cavities filled. I feel like the worst mom ever! I brush her teeth every evening...have to sit on her arms so I can do the best job. Even with doing that, she still needed all that work! Flossing is pretty much impossible. A couple of her cavities were in between teeth where brushing is ineffective. They were supposed to replace the one crown we had before (which would have totaled 3 crowns). I was sick to my stomach over this number, since I was under the impression that we were just replacing the one she had grinded a hole in. When they went to replace the crown, he said the tooth fell out. Instead, they put a spacer since the 2 year molar won't get a replacement until closer to age 10-11. They also cleaned her teeth, but I denied the flouride veneer and asked them not to do sealants (like they did last time.)
It took her a while to wake up from the anesthesia. When she opened her eyes, we were able to bring her home around noon. She slept for over an hour and a half. I couldn't believe it! Last time, she was up and going as soon as we got home. We started slow with drink and food. By dinner time she had eaten 3 cups of applesauce, a bowl of grits, some mashed potatoes, some strawberries, a banana and drank some juice. She kept it all down too. :)
She slept well Thursday night, but was up earlier than normal Friday morning...probably because she had slept so much during the day. I sent her to school and her teacher said she had a good day. Just got upset around 1:30 which was probably when the motrin wore off. She fell asleep quickly last night (Friday), but woke up crying/yelling at 1am. I can't remember the last time she did that. When I went to check on her, I could tell she was congested. I don't know if that's due to the dental stuff or b/c the temperature dropped last night. I may never know. I gave her another dose of motrin and 1 mg of melatonin around 1:30am. Eventually she fell back asleep. She seems herself this morning. She is still grinding her teeth some. I was REALLY hoping that would stop. Her teacher at school said it's much less than it was. I just have this small fear that the crowns are causing her to grind her teeth, either b/c they aren't a good fit or because of the materials they are made of. Is it really safe to have metal in your mouth?
So, now I am trying to make a plan of how to strengthen her teeth. She has been casein free for 3 years (no dairy) so I think the lack of calcium has really taken a toll. I don't supplement with calcium so I think I will look into one. I am also considering a protocol based on Weston Price's research. Basically he finds that a lot of tooth decay is based on our nutrition. Obviously, EK is missing something. Praying that adding some missing vitamins and minerals will help us avoid this situation next time!!
Just wanted to update those of you who were interested! Thanks for your prayers!
It took her a while to wake up from the anesthesia. When she opened her eyes, we were able to bring her home around noon. She slept for over an hour and a half. I couldn't believe it! Last time, she was up and going as soon as we got home. We started slow with drink and food. By dinner time she had eaten 3 cups of applesauce, a bowl of grits, some mashed potatoes, some strawberries, a banana and drank some juice. She kept it all down too. :)
She slept well Thursday night, but was up earlier than normal Friday morning...probably because she had slept so much during the day. I sent her to school and her teacher said she had a good day. Just got upset around 1:30 which was probably when the motrin wore off. She fell asleep quickly last night (Friday), but woke up crying/yelling at 1am. I can't remember the last time she did that. When I went to check on her, I could tell she was congested. I don't know if that's due to the dental stuff or b/c the temperature dropped last night. I may never know. I gave her another dose of motrin and 1 mg of melatonin around 1:30am. Eventually she fell back asleep. She seems herself this morning. She is still grinding her teeth some. I was REALLY hoping that would stop. Her teacher at school said it's much less than it was. I just have this small fear that the crowns are causing her to grind her teeth, either b/c they aren't a good fit or because of the materials they are made of. Is it really safe to have metal in your mouth?
So, now I am trying to make a plan of how to strengthen her teeth. She has been casein free for 3 years (no dairy) so I think the lack of calcium has really taken a toll. I don't supplement with calcium so I think I will look into one. I am also considering a protocol based on Weston Price's research. Basically he finds that a lot of tooth decay is based on our nutrition. Obviously, EK is missing something. Praying that adding some missing vitamins and minerals will help us avoid this situation next time!!
Just wanted to update those of you who were interested! Thanks for your prayers!
from years in dental hygiene....most children or should i say many many children grind their teeth...it's all about stresses and how their teeth fit together...they do outgrow it when the permanent teeth begin to come in....
ReplyDeleteprevention is the key to tooth decay....fluoride takes a bad rap....it's the best at helping teeth fight the decay process....keeping things clean and routine dental visits help maintain things better.......keep plugging away melissa...anytime you need to chat about dental ...you can call.....