An update and some of my random thoughts...

I feel like I don't write many heartfelt posts anymore. The main reason, I guess, is that life with three kids (especially a very active 17 month old boy) is exhausting. I am always tired by the end of the day as I try to maintain a household of 5. I say "try" because I can always do a better job. We are busy, life is busy. I feel like I run around running errands all day, every day and even if we're home most of the day, I am running around the house, trying to get things done. It makes me wonder how I ever got anything done when I worked full-time. I guess I had evenings or all day Saturday to do things and now I have three little ones who have immediate needs and can make a good mess within minutes. (Lately, I often wonder why I even bother cleaning...) Let me make it clear though, I am so thankful for our 3 blessings! I am thankful they have fun and that my need for a perfectly clean house has greatly diminished. :) This is just my stage of life right now.

But, I really struggle right now with having time for ministry (like serving others around me). I know that my first calling is my home. Not just keeping a clean home, but more importantly, my husband and children. I need to serve them, to show them the love of Christ, to encourage Keith as he pastors our church and leads our family, to train our children in the things of God, to know right from wrong, to be helpers around the house, etc. I know that my family is first, but I also feel like I need to reach out to those around me (neighbors especially) and show them the love of Christ. I have really felt the Lord putting this on my heart. I know that I can make time, if I prioritize and if I just put action to my words. :)

Well, that's what I've been up to. Some thoughts that have been going through my mind....

Keith is busy with pastoring and working on his DMin. I am trying to help him where I can. He'll be doing a lot of writing in the coming months. He has spent a lot of time over the past almost 8 years mentoring and encouraging young men who feel called into full-time ministry. It has been a blessing to see them leave our church to further the gospel in other congregations or in mission fields. God has blessed me with a godly husband and it's a privilege to serve alongside him. I am grateful to have a husband who loves the Lord and His Word and practices what he preaches.

EK is doing ok. Her biggest achievement is going more regularly on the potty. She does well at school, usually going at least a couple times a day. She isn't as compliant for me at home. :) Something I would really like to see gone is her teeth grinding. She does it all the time...and I mean it. It's constant. I've been conversing with some other moms of kids with autism to see if they had any insight. One mom mentione TMJ so I'm going to research that more. I know it can sometimes be anxiety or a sensory need for pressure, but I just think it's more than that. Her front 2 teeth are half the size they used to be. On one hand, I'm thankful that these are baby teeth and pray we can get this under control before she gets her permanent teeth. But it's not healthy regardless. I also noticed that a filling they did back in September has already come out...probably also due to the teeth grinding. I just hate feeling helpless and that's exactly how I feel. I wish I knew whether she's in pain or if it's just habit or if there's something that's bothering her, like her crowns being a bad fit. I pray all the time for the Lord to give me wisdom and direction, but so far, I'm still clueless about what to do. I am going to talk with the dentist about TMJ and hear his thoughts. I also just added a new supplement in that is supposed to help strengthen teeth. Hoping this at least prevents future surgeries at the dentist.

AC is doing great! She is such a joy. There are occasional fits and dramatic moments. I am trying to teach her how to respond in a kind, gentle way. It convicts me too. I know there are times that I don't model gentleness and patience. Parenting has a sanctifying work, doesn't it? Reading is starting to click with her and I enjoy having her read to me. She loves to play games on the computer (I am that mom that makes it be an educational game), play with her dollhouse, make crafts, watch Sofia the first (Disney) or Shirley Temple's "The Little Princess". She loves her brother and sister, though occasionally they bother her. :)

AK, well, is 17 months old and all-boy. Does that tell you much? He is exhausting, always into something. When you find him doing something he's not supposed to, he looks at you with a big grin on his face and waves. Such a stinker! He is saying new words all the time. His favorite is "please" while doing the sign. He knows it'll get him whatever he's asking for. ;) He finally said "mama" a week ago. He had been calling Keith and me "dada". When I came home from a baby shower though, he smiled, pointed and said "mama". FINALLY!!! :)

One last thing...we bought a juicer last week. It's one of my favorite things now. I have gotten EK to drink whatever I make, which usually has at least one carrot, 1/2 a cucumber and some fruit in it. Excited to try more veggies! She isn't much of a veggie eater so if she'll drink them, HOORAY! :) AC likes experimenting too. It's good for all of us.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the update, Melissa! Know that we love you guys and pray for you often. Our friend Brian really enjoyed meeting you and Keith!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...