Teaching our children diligently

Keith preached a sermon on Deuteronomy 6 several Sundays ago. I was reminded again of what the Lord has called me to do with my children.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

I want to obey the Lord's command. I pray that my children will come to know Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. It won't just happen, even if I am a good model. I must teach them diligently, intentionally, and pray that the Lord will convict them of sin and convince them of the truths of the Bible.

Here are a couple ways I have done this. Maybe this will give you some direction if you want to improve in this serious task laid before us as parents. Or maybe you have some ideas that have worked for you. PLEASE share them with me!
  • Truth and Grace Memory Book by Tom Ascol. This book has a section of verses to help your child memorize, a section of hymns to teach, and a question and answer (catechism) section to teach your child the things of God.
  • My ABC Bible Verses by Susan Hunt. This book has a verse for each letter of the alphabet. I could pick my own verses if I wanted to. What I like about this book is that there is a story about each Bible verse to give application for the child. The story is usually about a brother and sister and explains the verse.
  • The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones. It's main point is that God had a plan before He even created the world to rescue a people to Himself and that He would send Jesus to save us. I just starting seeing the correlations in the past 10-15 years. I am excited to show AC these truths now. It bothers me a little how they paraphrase a few stories, so I add in (or correct) details as I read. Overall though, I really like the book.
  •  I try to tie in what we believe about God or the Bible throughout our day. When we see a rainbow or an extra pretty sky, we talk about how God made that and how creative He is. When AC is being a helper and obeying, I remind her how pleased God is with her choice. If someone isn't feeling well (family or friend), we stop to pray for them. When I correct AC's behavior, I remind her of a verse in the Bible that God wants us to obey. I try to model for her the way I desire for her to act.  
  • It's good for me to read book by other women who love the Lord and want to teach their children to love the Lord. I'm reading "The Mission of Motherhood" by Sally Clarkson right now. A couple years ago I read "Don't Make Me Count to 3" by Ginger Plowman and "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp. Now that I'm further along this parenting journey, I should re-read both. :)
  • I should have put this first. It's amazing how much better our day goes when I have my quiet time with the Lord in the morning. As soon as we get EK on the bus, I sit down with my coffee and read the Bible. I really enjoy the time and it's good for my soul. I know my attitude is more Christ-like when I take the time to read God's Word and let it change me. It's living and active!
I'm sure some of you have great ideas! Please share any resources you have found beneficial! We need to help and encourage each other as we strive to raise children who love the Lord in this fallen world. Amen?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...