The Lord gives grace...

Once in a while people will say to me "I don't know how you do it." or "The Lord knew that you would be the perfect mom for EK". While I think these are said with sincere hearts, I also think people think much better of me than they should. Sometimes I want to say something sarcastic, but most of the time I say with a smile "It's really hard some days." I don't believe that God gave us EK because I'm such a great mom or because I have a teaching background or because I love kids. Two of the three statements are true. I taught 2nd grade for several years before becoming a full-time mom and I do love kids. However, I'm not a great mom. I love my children a lot, but I'm still a sinner (though saved by grace) and I'm selfish. I'm prone to lose my patience when things don't go how I want them to and I'm not always kind with my words. I don't always handle stress in a gracious way. I want to be left alone at times and my kids think that's the perfect time to have several needs. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm far from perfect. It wasn't because I achieved a certain level in my christian walk, that it was easier to handle EK's autism. The Lord, in His sovereignty, has used EK's autism (and my husband and AC and AK) to mold me more into the image of Christ. He has stripped away much of my pride. I have learned to rely on His strength and wisdom, and truly believe that His ways are better than mine. And the Lord has given grace! He gave me the grace I needed to deal with EK's autism...not before it all happened, but at the time I needed it and each day since.

 Have you ever seen a family with lots of kids and you think "I couldn't stay sane with that many children?" I think the Lord gives a littler more grace with each child. If we thought we could have 6 kids (or however many you think is a lot) and do it well, we'd be doing it in our own strength. God wants us to rely on Him, to trust Him, to seek Him for the ability to do it well. Think about friends and family members who have had some horrible circumstances to go through: cancer, death of a spouse or child, miscarriage, abuse, divorce, an accident that left someone paralyzed. You don't know how you'll deal with really tough trials, until you're in them.

I've been thinking about this topic for a week or so now and today heard a sermon by Alistair Begg (one of my favorite pastors to listen to) entitled "Why Suffering?" (You can click on the title to hear the sermon, if you're interested.) I don't believe it coincidences. Here are a few things that the Holy Spirit impressed on my heart:
  • The same God who blesses us with a beautiful sunset, sometimes blesses us with the experience of suffering.
  • Christ doesn't always remove us from circumstances but He gives grace during it. (AMEN!)
  • Christians don't live free from suffering. We suffer like the world and still trust God. (What a testimony that is when we do!)
  • If we don't know how to suffer, how will anyone know how? (It's through our example of trusting God no matter how terrible our situation is, that makes a lost world wonder and question and want what we have.)
While my frail human mind doesn't understand it all, I do trust my all-knowing, all powerful, loving and merciful God. I know that God uses suffering for His glory and my good, and will continue to give me grace to face each day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...