Next school year
Something that's been weighing on my heart and mind the past few weeks is EK's school placement for next year. The past two years, EK has been in a STACC class with 2 other boys (who also require one-on-one attention) and a teacher and 2 aides. There is another STACC class at her school that has 5-6 boys with a male teacher and 2 aides. I found out EK's teacher wasn't going to be back next year and asked the principal to keep me in the the loop as they hired a new teacher. The principal called me 2 1/2 weeks ago to tell me that they would combine the classes and only have one STACC class at ERE. Because a few are either moving away from ERE or moving up (from the Early Learning Center), there will be 7-8 in the class. While having a male teacher for my daughter bothers me a little (It is not the teacher at all. I've met him, he's very nice and I know the parents that are in that class now thinks he's great.), I'm more concerned that my daughter who really needs one-on-one attention, isn't going to get it. We also haven't seen much progress the past couple years and I would prefer a teacher who has some experience. (I was REALLY hoping that the principal would hire an experienced teacher to take over EK's class.) The teacher she has now started as a brand new teacher last year and while she's done a really good job, I'm wondering if we need to try a teacher who's taught longer and still feels called to teach kids with autism. I'm not saying experience is always best. :)
Right now, I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done if I want her transferred and am hoping to be able to visit a few STACC classrooms before I even make a decision. It's a nerve-wracking thing to send your non-verbal daughter to school. It's been a blessing to have her at the school where my mom teaches. I feel like she can keep an eye on my girl, since I can't. I am also spending some time looking at her current goals and past goals to find some things she has a chance to master. Maybe some need to be thrown out or rewritten or implemented differently. EK has been in the public school system for 5 1/2 years and while teachers are trained to work with kids like EK, no one has her best interest at heart like I do. I have to be her advocate. A teacher may mean well, but there's always cut-backs, red tape and other kids to consider.
I'm feeling a little pressure because we only have 7 more days of school. We have an ARD on June 3 to discuss ESY (extended school year) and any other concerns. While I want this all in place before the summer is out, a wise friend also reminded me that if we make a choice and it doesn't work, it can be changed. She's right. We don't have to wait a whole school year to change classes, if the new class doesn't work. I'm trying to trust the Lord in this. He's always worked it out before. What I'm struggling with the most this time around is having knowledge (information about next year) and how or when to speak up and make a decision as a parent. I obviously want the best for my daughter. I covet any prayers for wisdom, discernment and guidance. :)
Right now, I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done if I want her transferred and am hoping to be able to visit a few STACC classrooms before I even make a decision. It's a nerve-wracking thing to send your non-verbal daughter to school. It's been a blessing to have her at the school where my mom teaches. I feel like she can keep an eye on my girl, since I can't. I am also spending some time looking at her current goals and past goals to find some things she has a chance to master. Maybe some need to be thrown out or rewritten or implemented differently. EK has been in the public school system for 5 1/2 years and while teachers are trained to work with kids like EK, no one has her best interest at heart like I do. I have to be her advocate. A teacher may mean well, but there's always cut-backs, red tape and other kids to consider.
I'm feeling a little pressure because we only have 7 more days of school. We have an ARD on June 3 to discuss ESY (extended school year) and any other concerns. While I want this all in place before the summer is out, a wise friend also reminded me that if we make a choice and it doesn't work, it can be changed. She's right. We don't have to wait a whole school year to change classes, if the new class doesn't work. I'm trying to trust the Lord in this. He's always worked it out before. What I'm struggling with the most this time around is having knowledge (information about next year) and how or when to speak up and make a decision as a parent. I obviously want the best for my daughter. I covet any prayers for wisdom, discernment and guidance. :)
Comments
Post a Comment