Annual ARD for EK
I had our annual ARD (admissions, review, dismissal) for EK this morning. If you aren't familiar with that acronym it basically is done each year to reassess goals for her IEP (Individualized Education Program). You can be thankful if you weren't sure what those letters meant b/c it means you don't have a child with special needs. :) Anyway, I know I always say it, but it's so very different to be on the parent side as opposed to the teacher side (which I was for 6 years). It's also been very difficult to sit through these meetings the past few years because EK was making little to no progress. Nothing like hearing that your 7 year old is at a 12 month old level. Her latest OT evaluation showed some progress in some areas up to 24-36 months. That's great and I'm praying we see even more progress this year.
I have not talked about EK's teacher enough this year. She is a blessing! Seriously, I am so thankful for those of you who prayed for EK's current teacher. I was anxious over the summer on how the situation was going to work out. Then I found out that the principal hired a teacher who had some experience. The principal was excited about hiring her, but it was still an unknown to me. We were able to meet her the Thursday before school started. It was just Ms. Flood, me and the kids. I gave her some background on my girl and she just sat and smiled at EK. I could tell there was already a connection there and that made me happy! Ms. Flood is amazing! I think the best thing about her (besides the fact that she has several years of experience) is that she came in with high expectations for EK. She's tough and EK needs a teacher that's going to expect more from her. She talks to her like an 8 year old instead of a toddler. She expects good behavior from her. She makes her work, even when EK doesn't want to. At the same time, she loves on her, gives her hugs and lots of praise and smiles. Ms. Flood has found that EK really enjoys being around some of the 3rd graders. She says it's EK's biggest motivator right now. (I knew EK had a desire to get out of the room more.) I just can't say enough good things about this teacher. Oh, one more thing, she met with me for almost an hour last Wednesday to go over all her new goals for EK! It gave me plenty of time to think of anything I wanted to add or delete.
And if you missed my earlier post, Ms. Flood is a christian! She and her husband joined our church a few weeks ago. They visited several times before she realized that Keith was the pastor. Isn't that amazing?? I think her faith shows in her teaching style. She reminds me a lot of Ms. Sharla as well. (EK's awesome teacher for 2 years in STACC preschool.) Using tough love but also building a relationship where EK trusts Ms. Flood has her best interest. One thing Ms. Flood said the other day is that she always explains to EK WHY she has to do something. I don't think that's been done in years. Teachers in the past just wanted her to do a task. EK may just be the type that really needs to know WHY in order to be motivated to do it.
I'm also thankful for EK's occupational therapist. The past couple years OT's have been lacking. Ms. Cheryl is also a member of our church and has experience. She's also working to build a relationship with EK and has seen a change in how EK works since the beginning of the school year. I don't know how we got so lucky to have Ms. Cheryl as EK's OT this year, well, yes I do. The Lord has orchestrated many details, beyond just a fantastic teacher!
I met her adaptive PE teacher who also is seeing gains in EK since the beginning of school. She's also getting some ideas from Ms. Flood and spending more time in the classroom to get to know EK and the other students more. :)
And last but not least, the diagnostician is one we had a few years ago. She's done it for a while and remembers EK from a few years back. I love when there are people who know what EK was capable of before she regressed. I feel like some therapists and teachers must think I'm crazy when I say that she spoke, sang songs, played with toys, etc even at age 3. I'm about to put some of our old videos on DVD's so her teacher (and others that want to) can see what she was like at age 2-3 years. While it makes me sad to watch, I also think that's still in EK. For some reason, she's trapped in her own body and can't express herself anymore.
Overall, it was a good ARD! I worried I'd get emotional at some point b/c I have for the past couple years (plus I have crazy pregnancy hormones). I didn't though. I think I am so confident in her teacher this year and know she is going to do her best to help my girl. It was really nice to not have knots in my stomach. I was thrilled to know what all the teachers/therapists were thinking ahead of time. I really felt that they care about my girl and THAT makes a big difference. Thank you Lord for blessing us this school year!!
I have not talked about EK's teacher enough this year. She is a blessing! Seriously, I am so thankful for those of you who prayed for EK's current teacher. I was anxious over the summer on how the situation was going to work out. Then I found out that the principal hired a teacher who had some experience. The principal was excited about hiring her, but it was still an unknown to me. We were able to meet her the Thursday before school started. It was just Ms. Flood, me and the kids. I gave her some background on my girl and she just sat and smiled at EK. I could tell there was already a connection there and that made me happy! Ms. Flood is amazing! I think the best thing about her (besides the fact that she has several years of experience) is that she came in with high expectations for EK. She's tough and EK needs a teacher that's going to expect more from her. She talks to her like an 8 year old instead of a toddler. She expects good behavior from her. She makes her work, even when EK doesn't want to. At the same time, she loves on her, gives her hugs and lots of praise and smiles. Ms. Flood has found that EK really enjoys being around some of the 3rd graders. She says it's EK's biggest motivator right now. (I knew EK had a desire to get out of the room more.) I just can't say enough good things about this teacher. Oh, one more thing, she met with me for almost an hour last Wednesday to go over all her new goals for EK! It gave me plenty of time to think of anything I wanted to add or delete.
And if you missed my earlier post, Ms. Flood is a christian! She and her husband joined our church a few weeks ago. They visited several times before she realized that Keith was the pastor. Isn't that amazing?? I think her faith shows in her teaching style. She reminds me a lot of Ms. Sharla as well. (EK's awesome teacher for 2 years in STACC preschool.) Using tough love but also building a relationship where EK trusts Ms. Flood has her best interest. One thing Ms. Flood said the other day is that she always explains to EK WHY she has to do something. I don't think that's been done in years. Teachers in the past just wanted her to do a task. EK may just be the type that really needs to know WHY in order to be motivated to do it.
I'm also thankful for EK's occupational therapist. The past couple years OT's have been lacking. Ms. Cheryl is also a member of our church and has experience. She's also working to build a relationship with EK and has seen a change in how EK works since the beginning of the school year. I don't know how we got so lucky to have Ms. Cheryl as EK's OT this year, well, yes I do. The Lord has orchestrated many details, beyond just a fantastic teacher!
I met her adaptive PE teacher who also is seeing gains in EK since the beginning of school. She's also getting some ideas from Ms. Flood and spending more time in the classroom to get to know EK and the other students more. :)
And last but not least, the diagnostician is one we had a few years ago. She's done it for a while and remembers EK from a few years back. I love when there are people who know what EK was capable of before she regressed. I feel like some therapists and teachers must think I'm crazy when I say that she spoke, sang songs, played with toys, etc even at age 3. I'm about to put some of our old videos on DVD's so her teacher (and others that want to) can see what she was like at age 2-3 years. While it makes me sad to watch, I also think that's still in EK. For some reason, she's trapped in her own body and can't express herself anymore.
Overall, it was a good ARD! I worried I'd get emotional at some point b/c I have for the past couple years (plus I have crazy pregnancy hormones). I didn't though. I think I am so confident in her teacher this year and know she is going to do her best to help my girl. It was really nice to not have knots in my stomach. I was thrilled to know what all the teachers/therapists were thinking ahead of time. I really felt that they care about my girl and THAT makes a big difference. Thank you Lord for blessing us this school year!!
Comments
Post a Comment