Autism Awareness Month

Hard to believe it's been 6 years since EK's autism diagnosis. I'm having mixed emotions about April being autism awareness month. Since it's been a part of our daily life for over six years now I have a hard time realizing that some people still have no idea what autism is. I remember when EK was first diagnosed and Keith wrote about it in our church newsletter to let the congregation know. There were several older ladies who thought she was dying. You can't blame them. Even 15 years ago, autism wasn't something you heard much about...even more rare to know someone affected by it. I personally knew one girl. Even during the six years I taught school, there were only 2 boys that came through 2nd grade. 
The numbers are growing though. Autism now affects 1 in 68. If you don't know someone personally with autism, chances are, you will soon. I am so thankful that our church is much more educated in autism than they were 6 years ago. There are at least 6 kids with autism at our church, all on different points of the autism spectrum. I'm so thankful for the church members who volunteer each week to love on our kids and teach them about the Bible. 

How can you show support this month and throughout the year? Be kind to families who are affected by autism. If you see a child acting out in a store, don't assume they need discipline. Show grace to that mom. Teach your kids to include kids who are different and be compassionate. EK has had snack this year with a 3rd grade class. Several of the girls in this class play with her at recess and sometimes fight over who's turn it is to hang out with her. She even received some Valentine's cards from kids not in her class. Things like this make my heart smile! And EK knows when others are being sweet. :)

Here is our 1 in 68. Thanks for all of you who love our girl and pray for her. She is loved by many! 

Here are pictures of EK when she was younger, before autism took her. She developed normally until about 2 1/2 years old. For those who haven't read previous posts or have forgotten, EK was verbal. She could make simple requests, sang songs, played with toys appropriately, interacted with her baby sister, etc. Her first symptoms were all sensory (I just had no idea what sensory issues were). She started walking on her toes and chewing on everything. I remember mentioning the fact that everything went in her mouth to her doctor at her 2 year check up, but he didn't make a big deal of it. Not that I blame him for that, but I wish I had listened to my mama gut more.


 Here's EK at her 2 year old birthday party. She was so excited to have friends over and was totally into opening gifts. What I wouldn't give for this kind of behavior now!

So sweet! This girl loved her sister! She still does, but she doesn't know how to give hugs or kisses anymore. To get AC's attention she'll swat at her or pull her hair.

Look at that eye contact and smile. Such a sweet girl who's voice I miss SO very much! Sometimes I wish I had been able to know what was coming...so I could have savored her words much more (and taken a lot more video). Not sure when exactly we lost her. It was so gradual, but I'd give anything to reverse it!

Here are some more facts if you want to educate yourself. I took this from the National Autism Association site, which I prefer much more than Autism Speaks.
  • Boys are four times more likely to have autism than girls
  • About 40% of children with autism do not speak. About 25%–30% of children with autism have some words at 12 to 18 months of age and then lose them. Others might speak, but not until later in childhood
  • Autism greatly varies from person to person (no two people with autism are alike)
  • The rate of autism has steadily grown over the last twenty years
  • Comorbid conditions often associated with autism include Fragile X, allergies, asthma, epilepsy, bowel disease, gastrointestinal/digestive disorders, persistent viral infections, PANDAS, feeding disorders, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, ADHD, Tourette Syndrome, OCD, sensory integration dysfunction, sleeping disorders, immune disorders, autoimmune disorders, and neuroinflammation.
  • Autism is the fastest growing developmental disorder, yet most underfunded
  • A 2008 Danish Study found that the mortality risk among those with autism was nearly twice that of the general population
  • Children with autism do progress – early intervention is key
  • Autism is treatable, not a hopeless condition


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...