Hindsight is always 20/20
This time last year ago I was so very stressed about the next school year. I knew EK's teacher was leaving and there was talk about combining the two STACC classes into one class. I called an assistant principal at another elementary school to get some advice from her. I was thinking about moving her to a new campus. One of my wise friends who has a son in the other STACC class told me to wait and see. That if it didn't work out after a few weeks of school starting, I could call an ARD and change things. I also wrote a letter to the principal, telling her my concerns and what I would like to see in a new teacher, if they were able to hire one. The Lord went above and beyond my expectations. Ms. Flood has been such a blessing! She loves my girl and treats her with respect, while also pushing her to work and learn. After our yearly ARD last fall, I wrote the principal to thank her for hiring Ms. Flood. While I know that ultimately the Lord worked out all the details, I'm thankful that the principal listened to me and sought out a teacher who had experience and loved working with kids with autism. It's hard to find that combination!
I'm glad that I didn't act hastily.It's not always easy to wait and see, but this situation worked out well. While EK hasn't made big improvements, she has made a little progress here and there and I believe she really has enjoyed school this year. There are some sweet kids in her class too and she's spent more time with a gen ed 3rd grade class (snack and recess). I'm thankful for some sweet 3rd grade girls who have taken the time to be kind to EK. She notices thing like that and likes the attention. :)
On a different note, we have a college student coming to help with EK this summer a couple days a week. I'm excited to be able to take all four kids out this summer and to be able to do a few fun things with AC and AK. I know it'll be great experience for our helper too. Looking forward to having help so I'm not so overwhelmed! If you have followed our blog for a couple years, you know that EK used to attend ESY. She doesn't have any ESY (extended school year) this summer b/c the district has cut back on it. Only kids with severe behavior issues are allowed to go. I am thankful that she isn't a behavior issue and I'm hopeful that our helper will bond with EK and they'll have fun! You can pray for a easy transition!
I'm glad that I didn't act hastily.It's not always easy to wait and see, but this situation worked out well. While EK hasn't made big improvements, she has made a little progress here and there and I believe she really has enjoyed school this year. There are some sweet kids in her class too and she's spent more time with a gen ed 3rd grade class (snack and recess). I'm thankful for some sweet 3rd grade girls who have taken the time to be kind to EK. She notices thing like that and likes the attention. :)
On a different note, we have a college student coming to help with EK this summer a couple days a week. I'm excited to be able to take all four kids out this summer and to be able to do a few fun things with AC and AK. I know it'll be great experience for our helper too. Looking forward to having help so I'm not so overwhelmed! If you have followed our blog for a couple years, you know that EK used to attend ESY. She doesn't have any ESY (extended school year) this summer b/c the district has cut back on it. Only kids with severe behavior issues are allowed to go. I am thankful that she isn't a behavior issue and I'm hopeful that our helper will bond with EK and they'll have fun! You can pray for a easy transition!
Comments
Post a Comment