10 years old!

Wow! The child that made me a mother for the first time turned TEN a couple weeks ago. It is so very hard to believe and honestly, it's bittersweet. While we celebrate the fact that it's the day of her birth and want her to know she's loved, it is really hard to fathom that EK is 10. She doesn't act like a ten year old in many respects. She can't tell me what she wants or likes. She doesn't argue with me. She isn't able to dress herself, get herself a snack or use the restroom...things most take for granted. I don't know why birthdays hit me so hard, but they do. Each year, the gap between EK and her peers grows. How I wish we could at least figure out a way for her to communicate what is going on in that sweet mind of hers. I KNOW she has preferences. I would LOVE to find something she enjoys doing. I'm so glad Keith suggested horse therapy a few years ago. It makes me so happy that once a week she can ride. She loves being with her siblings too. While she doesn't always show her affection appropriately, she loves them. And as hard as things are at times, I love this girl to pieces! She has taught me a lot without saying anything. The Lord has showed me areas of my life that need to be more Christ-like. I am still learning (sometimes daily) how to be selfless and show love, gentleness, kindness, etc when it's not always shown in return. I am so thankful for the people we've met along this autism journey...therapists, teachers, moms. God is so good to know what we need and provide in amazing ways. 
EK, we love you so much and hope you know it! I am praying that the Lord will protect you and keep you safe, and if it's His will, help us find a way for you to communicate. While I love you just the way you are, I'm going to keep learning and researching to see if there are things out there that will help you. I know the Lord will give wisdom and guidance to help us be the parents you need us to be!

 Enjoying a cupcake.
 AC played "Happy Birthday".
 AK and AC painted some canvases to hang in EK's room

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...