COVID-19 summer ideas
Hey friends! We finished up 2nd and 6th grade here last week and now I'm needing to find things to occupy my kids all summer. I am sad that our summer looks a lot different than I had planned 3 months ago. We were supposed to leave this week to spend several days in Washington DC and then drive down to Wilmington, NC so Eliza could go to the beach. She was a baby when we went to San Diego and that was our most recent trip to a beach. Anyway, now we are hoping to take the trip next May.
I've been searching the internet for "summer bucket list" ideas and summer chore charts. I want a little structure to our days so my kids aren't on their tablets or watching movies all day. I've already set the expectation that there are no electronics until after lunch. Their mornings will consist of reading their Bible, doing a little school work, reading for 30 minutes, doing 2-3 chores, spending some time outside before it gets too hot and picking up their room. Aubrey and Andrew will practice piano on the weekdays and Aubrey is going to make at least one new recipe a week. I have a goal of doing something kind to someone outside of our family each week as well. That may be making cookies for neighbors or sending notes to some of our church widows. Hopefully we'll be able to do a couple fun outings later in the summer, such as a day trip to Austin and Fossil Rim Wildlife Center.
I thought I'd share the things I've found to give some ideas.
This is my favorite printable daily summer chore chart. The blogger also provides a blank sheet to make it your own. My kids each have one of these. I put the print-out in a plastic sheet protector and it will be wiped clean at the end of each day. I like the different sections of this checklist and I especially love that it has a "build your spirit" section. Even if your child isn't old enough to read their Bible on their own each day, you can read with them or have them listen to a chapter a day on www.biblegateway.com
If you want something a little less specific, this is a great option. It's just a short list of things to do before they can get on electronics. I was going to do a simple chart for my 5 year old, but she insisted having the same one as her brother and sister.
On the internet, there are so many different options. Some charts have a special day each week like "Water Wednesday" and "Fun Friday". I prefer a daily routine but it might be a great option for other families.
I scoured the internet for "bucket list" ideas. I compiled our list below. I only added a few things that were away from our house. I hope we can add more as the summer weeks progress, but I didn't want to list too many things that wouldn't happen.
I found this list during my search and I love it! See how many things your kids can check off the list and if they are missing some, maybe they can have a goal to complete some by the end of summer break.
Hope this is helpful for some. What ideas do you have to keep your kids busy this summer?
I've been searching the internet for "summer bucket list" ideas and summer chore charts. I want a little structure to our days so my kids aren't on their tablets or watching movies all day. I've already set the expectation that there are no electronics until after lunch. Their mornings will consist of reading their Bible, doing a little school work, reading for 30 minutes, doing 2-3 chores, spending some time outside before it gets too hot and picking up their room. Aubrey and Andrew will practice piano on the weekdays and Aubrey is going to make at least one new recipe a week. I have a goal of doing something kind to someone outside of our family each week as well. That may be making cookies for neighbors or sending notes to some of our church widows. Hopefully we'll be able to do a couple fun outings later in the summer, such as a day trip to Austin and Fossil Rim Wildlife Center.
I thought I'd share the things I've found to give some ideas.
This is my favorite printable daily summer chore chart. The blogger also provides a blank sheet to make it your own. My kids each have one of these. I put the print-out in a plastic sheet protector and it will be wiped clean at the end of each day. I like the different sections of this checklist and I especially love that it has a "build your spirit" section. Even if your child isn't old enough to read their Bible on their own each day, you can read with them or have them listen to a chapter a day on www.biblegateway.com
If you want something a little less specific, this is a great option. It's just a short list of things to do before they can get on electronics. I was going to do a simple chart for my 5 year old, but she insisted having the same one as her brother and sister.
On the internet, there are so many different options. Some charts have a special day each week like "Water Wednesday" and "Fun Friday". I prefer a daily routine but it might be a great option for other families.
If you are wondering what kind of chores to assign, this has some ideas. My kids don't always have the same chores to do, mainly because I want them to be flexible on where I need help that day. Each day, I'll give them several options on their chores for the day.
I scoured the internet for "bucket list" ideas. I compiled our list below. I only added a few things that were away from our house. I hope we can add more as the summer weeks progress, but I didn't want to list too many things that wouldn't happen.
I found this list during my search and I love it! See how many things your kids can check off the list and if they are missing some, maybe they can have a goal to complete some by the end of summer break.
Hope this is helpful for some. What ideas do you have to keep your kids busy this summer?




Comments
Post a Comment