COVID-19

If you had told me 3 months ago what life would be like right now, I would not have believed you. It seems like a crazy dream that won't end. I miss our normal routine. I miss seeing friends each week at church. I am sad that Eliza missed out on the last 2 months of Pre-K and all the fun days that entails. I'm sad that EK doesn't get a proper good-bye to her teachers and classmates since she'll be at a new school next year and for the missed learning opportunities for her at that school. I know that girl is so bored at times (although she does get to eat pretty much all day if she wants). While I homeschooled AC and AK this year and that aspect of our lives didn't change too much, AC is at an age where she REALLY misses her friends. As a 6th grader, she is missing out on having a speaking part in our kid's choir musical, her last year of GA camp, her last year in children's Bible drill and other activities. I know in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a huge deal. I'm trying to balance listening to her feelings and grieving with her, but also reminding her of the good things. 
My natural bent is to have a pity party when things don't go as I want them to. The Lord has really been teaching me the past couple years that I shouldn't allow this attitude to prevail since I am a Christian. Yes, there are times we're disappointed and I think it's ok to be sad for a short time. However, my tendency in the past was to stay in this place too long and grow in my disappointment. If we aren't careful, disappointment/complaining about circumstances can lead to anger and resentment. We begin to think our situation isn't fair and we get angry...maybe with our spouse, our kids or even God. I've been there, I'm sad to say. But the Lord has been so patient and kind to remind me over and again that I have things to be thankful for. If you can't think of any, here are a few verses to start you off:

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
    for his steadfast love endures forever!
Let the redeemed of the Lord say so,
    whom he has redeemed from trouble.
                                         Psalm 107:1-2  

A few years ago, I read a book called Choosing Gratitude by Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth with a few friends for accountability. Friends, this book had a huge influence in my life. I'm grateful for the Biblical truth it taught me and convicted me of. The author also wrote a 30 day devotional to put into practice the discipline of gratitude. 
Here's a quote from the first chapter:
"...Choosing gratitude means choosing joy. But that choices doesn't come without effort and intentionality. It's a choice that requires constantly renewing my mind with the truth of God's Word, setting my heart to savor God and His gifts and disciplining my tongue to speak words that reflect His goodness and grace- until a grateful spirit becomes my reflexive response to all of life." 
I am far from perfect but I can see the work the Lord has done in my life. Years ago, this whole situation would have really had a negative effect on me. I would have been struggling daily to find joy and blessings during this crazy time. While there are days right now I need to be alone for a few hours to pray and spend time with the Lord, He has calmed my fears, my worries and truly brought to mind ALL the ways He has been good. God is ALWAYS good, we just sometimes are so clouded by frustration and worry that it's hard to see past the bad. If this pandemic has been really difficult for you, ask yourself these questions:
Am I spending time daily in the Word of God?  Am I listening to music that helps me worship God throughout the day? Am I praying and asking God to help redeem this time at home? To have an eternal perspective and look for opportunities to serve my family, friends and neighbors? Am I thanking God for the ways He has blessed me?
I started a prayer/praise journal right after I read "Choosing Gratitude" and while I'm not always consistent about writing in it, it's always encouraging to read over my former prayer requests and see how God has answered them. I also write down a couple things I'm grateful for at that moment. It varies from little things that would mean nothing to someone else to big things that affect many. 
While my list will be different from yours, I'm writing some things I'm grateful for at this moment...for me to remember years later and to maybe help you begin your list.




  • good health
  • 4 sweet kids
  • a kind and helpful husband
  • more family time
  • Emma Kate has been ok with being home for 2 months
  • EK's teachers have had a weekly Zoom meeting & EK has loved seeing them
  • Aubrey and Andrew's schooling hasn't been interrupted since we homeschool
  • technology has allowed us to have church at home
  • Eliza is learning to read 
  • plenty of food to eat
  • our home we moved into in November has a GREAT backyard
  • family walks
  • more time for kids to play outside/be creative
  • backyard garden
  • time for projects around house
  • my parents and in-laws live nearby
  • able to continue teaching with VIPKID
  • finishing 2nd and 6th grade this past week!
  • younger three becoming more independent
  • beautiful weather the past 2 months
  • breakfast in bed on Mother's Day since we have church in our living room :)
  • new Easter traditions
  • new ways to minister to others
  • faithful giving at church













 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...