Consider it pure joy...

It's been a rough couple days around here. Maybe my hormones are outta sorts, but I've been so weepy lately. It just seems like life has just been extra difficult, I guess. I have days like that. Maybe you do too? It's not that anything has really changed and maybe that's why it's been harder. I'm rather frustrated that EK hasn't improved much lately. In fact, we have seen some regression. She's better at doing tasks when asked (like putting blocks together, doing a puzzle, basically not just throwing objects) but her speech has pretty much disappeared. She says "Mommy, Daddy" constantly, but it's a struggle to get much else out of her. I'm not sure if she's concentrating so much on doing things with her hands that she can't work on talking right now or what the deal is. Regardless, it's so disheartening!!!! We just want to see her improve, not just for our sake, but for hers. Imagine how frustrating it is for her to not be able to communicate what she wants, needs, when she's hurting, how she feels, etc. It breaks my heart! No parent wants their child to suffer. I pray she knows how much she is loved, especially on those days that are harder for her!!


I think the hardest thing about autism is that there's no concrete way to face it. With other medical conditions, doctors will tell you exactly what you need to do. There's so much out there in regards to autism. Some parents say their child no longer has the autism diagnosis (which is what we pray for all the time). Some parents do lots of therapy: behavior, speech, occupational, physical. Some parents put them on medications. Some parents go the biomedical route (gluten/casein free diet, supplements, vitamins, chelation, etc) Which is the right way??? Sometimes it so overwhelming. We just want to do what will help EK be all the God created her to be. I pray for wisdom constantly.


We attempted to go the pumpkin patch with some of my close friends yesterday. We all have kids that are close to EK's age. In fact, we used to do play dates when they were babies. (Yes, those play dates are more for the moms!!) These are kids that EK has grown up with. Sometimes it hard to be around them b/c it makes me realize where she should be. Sometimes it turns into a pity party b/c I'm sad that I'm missing out on fun experiences. We should be able to go to the pumpkin patch and she should be having a blast. I shouldn't have to hold her to whole time to console her (she cried pretty much the whole time). I certainly shouldn't have to hear other moms making comments about her poor behavior. It just doesn't seem fair...


Then I'm confronted with the words of James 1:2-4... "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, beacause you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."


If I'm honest, I'm not joyful about my current situation, but I struggle with knowing that I should. Having joy doesn't mean I'm happy about the trials I'm going through, but it does mean I can have joy because I know that God is in control, that He is sovereign, that He's good, and that He's all-wise. I truly believe that and I have to remind myself constantly that God has ordained for us to go through this. I know the Lord allowed EK to have autism to grow me in sanctification, to become more Christ-like. It's hard, it's not something I would've chosen to go through, but I pray that the Lord gives me the grace to choose to be joyful during this time.


I have a sweet teacher friend that is going through a trial of her own with her baby girl who was born with a rare condition. She's going through a lot of hurt and pain and it just doesn't seem fair. She's been through so much already in her life. I can relate so intimately to her feelings of frustration and sadness. Her transparency has been such an encouragement to me. She's in the midst of working out her salvation as she trusts in her Lord.


Someone mentioned the other day that I never complain about what is going on in our life. I hope this entry doesn't sound like complaining. I'm just trying to be honest. I'm only human. I do fail (daily), but my heart's desire is that, more than my comfort and happiness, God's will would be done in my life and EK's life and that my God would receive all the honor and glory for anything good that comes out of our current trials. Trusting Him is the only way to endure hardship. I am so thankful that I have my God to lean on and trust in during this time!

Comments

  1. Oh Melissa, your sweet heart was written all over this post! I don't think that you are complaining at all - you never do. I love your honesty and your postive outlook on things. Your attitude inspires me to view my own trials differently. You are a wonderful Mama to EK and AC! God hand picked them for you and you for them.

    I can only imagine how frustrating it is to watch your precious girl struggle with autism and try to discern what is the best way to help her. I know that you spend many hours researching what has worked for other children and constantly plan new strategies. Your hard work WILL pay off! You WILL see improvements. Hang in there, sweet friend! You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh...I wish I could make things easier.

    I commit to praying more fervently for you, EK and the rest of the family.

    You are loved, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweet sister! Thank you for being transparent, both about struggles and about your trusting the Lord. I am SO grateful for you, and grateful to God that you are honest. I love you!!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear friend,

    I love you and I loved this post. To be so vulnerable with your heart and feelings...it's beautiful. I truly can't imagine how hard it is for you and Keith. I just want you to know how much I love all of you and that I am committed to praying for you daily. I read something tonight in our Father's Amazing Word that I will pray over your family in the coming days: "May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word." II Thessalonians 2:16-17 Love, HMG

    ReplyDelete
  5. To my authentic friend,

    My mom sent this devotional along to me this morning, thought I would copy a little of it to you...

    Our brother, Paul, explains we are jars of clay--fragile, chipped, imperfect--exactly as God designed us to be so others will see the "all-surpassing power" of God through our fractured and shattered lives. We stand as monuments of God's grace, and we bear an inscription written in God's own hand: "Within this earthen container, the One True God is at work."

    Your weaknesses are a gift. You are God's jar of clay, designed exactly the way he intended. In the places you are weak, God is strong. Your weaknesses are an opportunity for God’s light to shine even brighter from within you.

    Melissa, God's power is made PERFECT in your weaknesses... your love for your daughters is a beautiful example of grace and love- and THEY FEEL IT! He is challenging you and streaching you more than you ever thought possible... and I bet he is growing you and Keith's dependance on one another too! What a blessing that He is beside you in a personal way even in the hard times... imagine if He were silent, how lonely that would feel. Don't let Satan steal one moment from your family by shifting your eyes from the big picture to the day to day bumps in the road. If the Devil doesn't like it, he can SIT ON A TACK!
    Love you,
    Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't hear complaining in your blog.....i see a momma who just wants what's best for her daughter.....and when you have the difficulties of autism to deal with....it does get frustrating...i've watched the same things with my cousin and her little guy...but you hang in there..your an encouragement to me...God gives us only what we can handle...(doesn't mean you want to handle it but it does mean that God knows you can handle it)....remember to see the little things each day that ek does well...
    and when those "folk" talk about how she should behave....just dont' listen...
    we were in an amish market in indiana with jack ( he was 2 1/2)..he was having a melt down...i took him to a water fountain and showed him how to turn the knob and put his finger on the stream and it would squirt all over.....for the next 20 minutes he played with that fountain, got the floor soaking wet, people thought i had the brattiest kid ever but the joy on his face, the giggles, the smiles from jack made it all worth while..
    what do those folks know anyway......
    there is a real neat website that i found for jack's momma.....it's kylestreehouse.org....it's great for chatting with other mom's of kids with autism....might be an encouragement to you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, wish I could hug you. Don't try to be perfect or always thankful. God gave us Jesus to help us because life is full of hard hard hurtful fear-filled times. You don't have to figure it all out. I know my chidren are developmentally healthy, so I am in no way trying to relate. Just trying to encourage and validate all your mind and heart are telling you. One of my degrees is special education so I have spent a lot of time with families on a day to day real-life emotional level. One of the biggest challenges of parenting is knowing your hands are tied at times, watching your child hurt, and dealing with the grief of the expectations of your first born, how you would parent, what her future holds. So many people love you and your girls because you are so strong, vibrant, and energetic. It is okay to have days where everything isn't perfect and NOT LIKE IT AT ALL. I am proud of you. Angela

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 months ago today...

Autism Awareness Day

Anticipating Christmas