EK survived the dentist...
I am so thankful today is over. It was a day I was dreading to an extent b/c I never know how she'll react. It VERY difficult to explain things to her. Does she understand what I'm saying even though she doesn't talk back to me? Do I even try to explain what might happen or will it cause her to be more anxious? I was also eager for it to come so that EK wouldn't be in any pain anymore. I'm glad Keith was able to be with me in the waiting room. (sidenote: He was impressed with the dentist's office...they've come a long way since we were kids!)
They took her back a little before 7:30 and gave her a shot of something. It got her pretty upset but she fell asleep about 5 minutes after it. The anesthesiologist then gave her the IV. The dentist did x-rays, put a crown on one molar, filled a cavity in another (a praise that there weren't more issues!), cleaned her teeth, and put sealents on the good teeth. He's hoping that will keep us from having other issues in the future. We're praying for that too. He was done in less than an hour. We left the dentist's office by 9am. EK was pretty out of it on the ride home. A little comical at times! :)
The scariest part was that one of the meds caused her neck to be like that of an infant. It was so wobbly and had to be supported. The anesthesiologist kept stressing the importance of not letting her neck go straight down towards her chest or she'd stop breathing. I'll admit that completely got my attention and I panicked a little. She did much better keeping her neck up once we were in the car. He also said that most kids are drowsy for 2-3 hours afterward. He obviously doesn't know MY girl! She was up and running from the moment we got home! She was able to eat by lunchtime and never got sick! Hallelujah! She also went to bed around 7:30pm tonight. That's always a blessing.
Back to normal routine tomorrow...preschool in the morning and the Pumpkin Patch in the afternoon with friends!
They took her back a little before 7:30 and gave her a shot of something. It got her pretty upset but she fell asleep about 5 minutes after it. The anesthesiologist then gave her the IV. The dentist did x-rays, put a crown on one molar, filled a cavity in another (a praise that there weren't more issues!), cleaned her teeth, and put sealents on the good teeth. He's hoping that will keep us from having other issues in the future. We're praying for that too. He was done in less than an hour. We left the dentist's office by 9am. EK was pretty out of it on the ride home. A little comical at times! :)
The scariest part was that one of the meds caused her neck to be like that of an infant. It was so wobbly and had to be supported. The anesthesiologist kept stressing the importance of not letting her neck go straight down towards her chest or she'd stop breathing. I'll admit that completely got my attention and I panicked a little. She did much better keeping her neck up once we were in the car. He also said that most kids are drowsy for 2-3 hours afterward. He obviously doesn't know MY girl! She was up and running from the moment we got home! She was able to eat by lunchtime and never got sick! Hallelujah! She also went to bed around 7:30pm tonight. That's always a blessing.
Back to normal routine tomorrow...preschool in the morning and the Pumpkin Patch in the afternoon with friends!
I'm so glad everything went ok!
ReplyDelete