EK's progress in December
We had our annual meeting with the school district (diagnostician, OT, ST, Ms. Sharla, asst. principal) on Friday. I know I've probably said this before, but it's kinda strange being on the parent side. I was always on the teacher side. Last year, this meeting was very stressful...we didn't know exactly what was going on with EK, we wanted to do the best thing for her but we weren't sure what to do, etc. In one word, it was OVERWHELMING! :)
This year was so much better. My stress level was down and it wasn't the "unknown" anymore. Some of her goals were changed because she's mastered some (yeah!) and because Sharla knew how to individualize them for EK after having her this year and observing her. I know I've said this before, Ms. Sharla is incredible! Hands down, the best teacher for EK right now. She's challenging her, she's gotten EK to do some things she wouldn't do a month ago, etc. I'm constantly amazed at the daily reports when I pick EK up...she did motions to a song, she tolerated a substitute in the classroom (remember my girl HATES change!), she helped with calendar time, etc. Somedays I wish I was a fly on the wall because it's hard to believe what Ms. Sharla is telling me. That lady gets her to do new stuff all the time! :)
Here are some things she's really improved on lately:
COMPLIANCE!! She will sit and work on a task such as stacking rings, building a tower with 4 blocks, putting coins in a piggy bank for a small reward (snack). She used to throw everything you placed in her hand, but after a couple weeks of working on it at school and home, she knows we're not just giving up. We'll make her do the task (hand over hand if necessary), no matter how long it takes and how much she protests. It was hard for us at home at first b/c you hate seeing your child that upset. But the hard work is paying off. She really doesn't protest much anymore, especially if you sing the command.
GIVE ME: I mentioned above that she'd throw the object a couple weeks ago. She's so consistent about placing the object in your hand if you say "Give me." There's no fit from her when I give the command and I don't have to pick everything up off the floor anymore.
BOOKS: She's really into books right now. She'll come into the playroom and sit down to look at a book for a minute. She loves to be read to, but I'm excited about this new interest when she's by herself. While in the wagon tonight, she looked at one book for several minutes. It's like she's starting to realize there are pictures on the page. Her automatic response isn't to throw anymore!
Some of the fine motor skills she can do consistently are: putting wooden beads on a dowel rod/pipe cleaner, putting coins in a bank, stacking rings, putting pegs on a pegboard, stacking blocks, and turning pages while I'm reading a book to her. At school she's starting to pick up the correct item asked for out of 3 objects.
There are so many things we need to work on...speech being the main one. She's really not talking still. This past week she started babbling a little. We're trying to reward her for sound she makes other than her grunting noise. I feel like it's in there. She used to talk. We just need to figure out how to make it interesting enough for her to want to do it. The most frustrating thing as a parent is I can't make her talk. EK has to do it. We can make her do other tasks, even if we have to do it hand-over-hand. How I wish I could make her talk! Even if at first it's just making her needs known or labeling things. I just want to hear how her brain is working, ya know?
I pray that soon I'll be able to post that she IS talking. I want the day to come where she's talking so much I can't remember when she didn't!! Oh what a sweet sound that will be! :)
This year was so much better. My stress level was down and it wasn't the "unknown" anymore. Some of her goals were changed because she's mastered some (yeah!) and because Sharla knew how to individualize them for EK after having her this year and observing her. I know I've said this before, Ms. Sharla is incredible! Hands down, the best teacher for EK right now. She's challenging her, she's gotten EK to do some things she wouldn't do a month ago, etc. I'm constantly amazed at the daily reports when I pick EK up...she did motions to a song, she tolerated a substitute in the classroom (remember my girl HATES change!), she helped with calendar time, etc. Somedays I wish I was a fly on the wall because it's hard to believe what Ms. Sharla is telling me. That lady gets her to do new stuff all the time! :)
Here are some things she's really improved on lately:
COMPLIANCE!! She will sit and work on a task such as stacking rings, building a tower with 4 blocks, putting coins in a piggy bank for a small reward (snack). She used to throw everything you placed in her hand, but after a couple weeks of working on it at school and home, she knows we're not just giving up. We'll make her do the task (hand over hand if necessary), no matter how long it takes and how much she protests. It was hard for us at home at first b/c you hate seeing your child that upset. But the hard work is paying off. She really doesn't protest much anymore, especially if you sing the command.
GIVE ME: I mentioned above that she'd throw the object a couple weeks ago. She's so consistent about placing the object in your hand if you say "Give me." There's no fit from her when I give the command and I don't have to pick everything up off the floor anymore.
BOOKS: She's really into books right now. She'll come into the playroom and sit down to look at a book for a minute. She loves to be read to, but I'm excited about this new interest when she's by herself. While in the wagon tonight, she looked at one book for several minutes. It's like she's starting to realize there are pictures on the page. Her automatic response isn't to throw anymore!
Some of the fine motor skills she can do consistently are: putting wooden beads on a dowel rod/pipe cleaner, putting coins in a bank, stacking rings, putting pegs on a pegboard, stacking blocks, and turning pages while I'm reading a book to her. At school she's starting to pick up the correct item asked for out of 3 objects.
There are so many things we need to work on...speech being the main one. She's really not talking still. This past week she started babbling a little. We're trying to reward her for sound she makes other than her grunting noise. I feel like it's in there. She used to talk. We just need to figure out how to make it interesting enough for her to want to do it. The most frustrating thing as a parent is I can't make her talk. EK has to do it. We can make her do other tasks, even if we have to do it hand-over-hand. How I wish I could make her talk! Even if at first it's just making her needs known or labeling things. I just want to hear how her brain is working, ya know?
I pray that soon I'll be able to post that she IS talking. I want the day to come where she's talking so much I can't remember when she didn't!! Oh what a sweet sound that will be! :)
Good to hear the latest and the great reports! Praying for y'all and look forward to reading the post when she is talking your ear off. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing progress report! That EK is such a strong and hard working sweet girl! I love keeping up with her therapies, activities and progress on your blog. I am so glad you decided to start one. Praise God for all his provisions for EK's schooling this year.
ReplyDeleteShe will be your chatter box, soon! :)
Hooray for a good report!! Praying for you guys, EK especially!!
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Sarah
Love hearing all this good news! Yay for EK!!!
ReplyDeleteMelissa,
ReplyDeleteWhat a special last few posts you have had....I haven't been keeping up. Anyway, your girls are always beautiful and precious. Go get those jammies....some things we can't redo and Christmas morning pics in matching pjs is one of them!!!
I will pray for your patience while we wait on EK to express herself with verbal language. I love you all and am so lifted by your spirit.
melissa...emma kate is on my daily prayer journal...praying that our heavenly father unlocks all the potential that is in her!...praying for you, too!
ReplyDeleteshirley