New pediatrician
On Friday, I took EK to see Dr. Robert for her 4 year well-check. I had heard great things about him from several friends, but I'd also heard that he wasn't accepting new patients. After the 4th person told me they went to him and loved him, I decided to try. When I called, I was very pleased to hear he was taking new patients.
I had no idea how she would act. EK usually doesn't do well in new situations, especially when she has to be touched. She was really calm when we first got there and sat on my lap in the waiting room while I filled out some paperwork. They called us back in less than 1o minutes. The nurse needed to weigh and measure her. You would've thought she was torturing EK. We had to sit her on the infant scale to weigh her, but eventually we got it. (I knew she was around 33 pounds.) The nurse even attempted to take her blood pressure...not sure it was very accurate since EK was trying to make a break for it. I told her that the urine sample wasn't happening since EK's no where near potty trained.
The nurse left us for a few minutes so EK had time to settle down before Dr. Robert came in. I had brought some books for EK to look at, hoping that she wouldn't scream the entire time so I'd be able to talk and ask questions. I was excited to see a pop-up toy that was similar to the one we have at home. It's one of the toys we're working on during therapy. She played with it the WHOLE time Dr. Robert was in the room. I was actually able to talk and ask all my questions for about 30 minutes! Praise the Lord! Dr. Robert was so easy to talk to. He listened to what we've been doing and didn't judge. He made suggestions here and there and asked me a lot of questions about EK. I really felt like he cared about her, which is so important as a parent, especially when you have a special needs child.
Dr. Robert and I talked a while before he ever attempted to come close to her. By the middle of the appointment, she was looking at him and he commented on her good eye contact. She got upset when I had to put her on the table for him to check her, but I knew she would. He said that physically everything is perfect and to continue what we're doing therapy/supplemental-wise. He even gave me his home e-mail. What doctor does that?
I'm sure he's not perfect, but I was quite impressed with our first visit. It was a relief to feel at ease and to confidently leave the office knowing I made a good choice!
I had no idea how she would act. EK usually doesn't do well in new situations, especially when she has to be touched. She was really calm when we first got there and sat on my lap in the waiting room while I filled out some paperwork. They called us back in less than 1o minutes. The nurse needed to weigh and measure her. You would've thought she was torturing EK. We had to sit her on the infant scale to weigh her, but eventually we got it. (I knew she was around 33 pounds.) The nurse even attempted to take her blood pressure...not sure it was very accurate since EK was trying to make a break for it. I told her that the urine sample wasn't happening since EK's no where near potty trained.
The nurse left us for a few minutes so EK had time to settle down before Dr. Robert came in. I had brought some books for EK to look at, hoping that she wouldn't scream the entire time so I'd be able to talk and ask questions. I was excited to see a pop-up toy that was similar to the one we have at home. It's one of the toys we're working on during therapy. She played with it the WHOLE time Dr. Robert was in the room. I was actually able to talk and ask all my questions for about 30 minutes! Praise the Lord! Dr. Robert was so easy to talk to. He listened to what we've been doing and didn't judge. He made suggestions here and there and asked me a lot of questions about EK. I really felt like he cared about her, which is so important as a parent, especially when you have a special needs child.
Dr. Robert and I talked a while before he ever attempted to come close to her. By the middle of the appointment, she was looking at him and he commented on her good eye contact. She got upset when I had to put her on the table for him to check her, but I knew she would. He said that physically everything is perfect and to continue what we're doing therapy/supplemental-wise. He even gave me his home e-mail. What doctor does that?
I'm sure he's not perfect, but I was quite impressed with our first visit. It was a relief to feel at ease and to confidently leave the office knowing I made a good choice!
Hi! I just ran across your blog after seeing a link from Laurie and Dax. Our student minister's daughter was diagnosed with Autism last year and they have a blog about her therapy, school, research, etc. I thought you might be interested.
ReplyDeletewww.gentryrose.blogspot.com