Update on EK
As I was sitting in EK's room tonight waiting for her to fall asleep, I realized that I haven't posted many updates on her lately. There are definitely things I want to write about so I'll remember in a couple months!
We are continuing ABA therapy this summer at the Brent Woodall Foundation. We started going there last May and I am thankful I found out about it through a friend. It's very reasonably priced and I feel like they are trying to help her. We do 6 hours a week (2 hour segments on Monday, Wednesday, Friday). I'm still not completely convinced that ABA therapy is for EK, since she hasn't made much progress. She was doing ok before Christmas, but just hasn't made strides since then. That was a major reason we had the sleep-deprived EEG done in April. Remember that?? Two Fridays ago, her therapist asked Keith if we'd changed any meds. They noticed that EK's percentages were going up quite a bit. We had started something new that Monday, so it was exciting that someone already saw a small change in her a few days later. I am praying for more progress this summer! We are also going to continue OT and ST at Therapedia once a week. I really like this place!
EK started ESY today (extended school year). It is at the school she attended this past school year so I knew that would make for a smoother transition. When I dropped her off this morning, I found out that her teacher is the same one she's had the past 2 summers! I was so thankful! Even though it's a change and it's not Ms. Sharla, I truly feel that Ms. Jen is the next best thing. She's learned a lot about EK the past couple years and I know she's praying she'll talk again. (Ms. Jen is one that heard her talk the summer before EK lost her speech.) I feel much more confident leaving EK for a couple hours a day, knowing that Ms. Jen wants to be there with her and the other kids. :) Hopefully I'll have some neat stories in the coming weeks.
A couple weeks ago, we got EK fitted for some night splints. We tried custom orthotics when EK was 3 years old to help with her toe-walking. They didn't do anything for her, but cut into her feet. Now that she's been toe-walking for over 3 years (YIKES!), we knew we needed to try and do something. This seemed like the next best thing. It's an orthotic that she wears only when she's sleeping to help stretch her foot. I can barely get her to a 90 degree stretch, she's just so tight from walking tip-toe for so long. I've been alternating feet each night (or most nights) and she usually sleeps pretty well. One night she got the thing off. I have no idea how she did it. There are so many straps on this thing and it holds her foot up to her calf. I can't tell if they have helped much yet, but hopefully we'll slowly be able to stretch her. I'm also hoping they don't interrupt her sleep like they did last night (or at least I think that's what woke her up at 2am). I took it off her and she was up for over 2 hours. Thankfully that has not been the norm this pregnancy. I couldn't handle that!
I wrote this is the previous post, but she did so well at VBS. She transitioned well from room to room (for the most part) and only had one major meltdown on Wednesday. That is a huge step for her, I think!
We went to my parents last night to celebrate Father's Day and she was happy the entire time. She ate dinner at the table with the adults. She played outside. Granted, she did her thing while playing outside and inside, but I was able to relax a little and enjoy being with family. We were there almost 3 hours too.
I have been trying to run more errands with both girls. The first week that EK was out of school, I purposefully ran some quick errands just to get her out in public. Our longest errand was to Kroger and I asked my mom to join us there so she could push the cart. I had more than a couple things to get. EK got a little upset in the produce section (which made me a little nervous b/c we'd only been in the store for 2 minutes). I was determined to get more than just a few fruits and veggies. Once we moved on, she was fine. (Maybe the smells in the produce area bothered her? Or maybe it was more crowded over there?) We even had to wait to check-out for a few minutes and thankfully there wasn't a meltdown. Perhaps this summer, we'll even try to eat a meal at a restaurant. That's a goal we need to work towards, for sure!
I need to work on potty training. She was going rather consistently at school the last month or two. It's hard though when she can't tell you that she has to go. I did sit her this morning and she went! YEAH!! I definitely need to be more consistent with this at home so that she can be more successful.
Thanks for reading all this, if you have up until this point. :) I need to remind myself of the baby steps she's making in some areas.
We are continuing ABA therapy this summer at the Brent Woodall Foundation. We started going there last May and I am thankful I found out about it through a friend. It's very reasonably priced and I feel like they are trying to help her. We do 6 hours a week (2 hour segments on Monday, Wednesday, Friday). I'm still not completely convinced that ABA therapy is for EK, since she hasn't made much progress. She was doing ok before Christmas, but just hasn't made strides since then. That was a major reason we had the sleep-deprived EEG done in April. Remember that?? Two Fridays ago, her therapist asked Keith if we'd changed any meds. They noticed that EK's percentages were going up quite a bit. We had started something new that Monday, so it was exciting that someone already saw a small change in her a few days later. I am praying for more progress this summer! We are also going to continue OT and ST at Therapedia once a week. I really like this place!
EK started ESY today (extended school year). It is at the school she attended this past school year so I knew that would make for a smoother transition. When I dropped her off this morning, I found out that her teacher is the same one she's had the past 2 summers! I was so thankful! Even though it's a change and it's not Ms. Sharla, I truly feel that Ms. Jen is the next best thing. She's learned a lot about EK the past couple years and I know she's praying she'll talk again. (Ms. Jen is one that heard her talk the summer before EK lost her speech.) I feel much more confident leaving EK for a couple hours a day, knowing that Ms. Jen wants to be there with her and the other kids. :) Hopefully I'll have some neat stories in the coming weeks.
A couple weeks ago, we got EK fitted for some night splints. We tried custom orthotics when EK was 3 years old to help with her toe-walking. They didn't do anything for her, but cut into her feet. Now that she's been toe-walking for over 3 years (YIKES!), we knew we needed to try and do something. This seemed like the next best thing. It's an orthotic that she wears only when she's sleeping to help stretch her foot. I can barely get her to a 90 degree stretch, she's just so tight from walking tip-toe for so long. I've been alternating feet each night (or most nights) and she usually sleeps pretty well. One night she got the thing off. I have no idea how she did it. There are so many straps on this thing and it holds her foot up to her calf. I can't tell if they have helped much yet, but hopefully we'll slowly be able to stretch her. I'm also hoping they don't interrupt her sleep like they did last night (or at least I think that's what woke her up at 2am). I took it off her and she was up for over 2 hours. Thankfully that has not been the norm this pregnancy. I couldn't handle that!
I wrote this is the previous post, but she did so well at VBS. She transitioned well from room to room (for the most part) and only had one major meltdown on Wednesday. That is a huge step for her, I think!
We went to my parents last night to celebrate Father's Day and she was happy the entire time. She ate dinner at the table with the adults. She played outside. Granted, she did her thing while playing outside and inside, but I was able to relax a little and enjoy being with family. We were there almost 3 hours too.
I have been trying to run more errands with both girls. The first week that EK was out of school, I purposefully ran some quick errands just to get her out in public. Our longest errand was to Kroger and I asked my mom to join us there so she could push the cart. I had more than a couple things to get. EK got a little upset in the produce section (which made me a little nervous b/c we'd only been in the store for 2 minutes). I was determined to get more than just a few fruits and veggies. Once we moved on, she was fine. (Maybe the smells in the produce area bothered her? Or maybe it was more crowded over there?) We even had to wait to check-out for a few minutes and thankfully there wasn't a meltdown. Perhaps this summer, we'll even try to eat a meal at a restaurant. That's a goal we need to work towards, for sure!
I need to work on potty training. She was going rather consistently at school the last month or two. It's hard though when she can't tell you that she has to go. I did sit her this morning and she went! YEAH!! I definitely need to be more consistent with this at home so that she can be more successful.
Thanks for reading all this, if you have up until this point. :) I need to remind myself of the baby steps she's making in some areas.
I love hearing about EK's baby steps! Thanks for sharing so that we can pray for her more specifically. What does it mean that her percentages were going up and how does that relate to medication?
ReplyDeleteSo proud of you, sweet friend. You are one special mama to that little girl!!
love
sarah
yeah for ek's steps....baby steps or not they are progress forward....so glad for that...i pray for her often....she's a sweetie....and yeah for progress for you....it's all a positive note...and that makes me happy too....and then.....i'm happy your getting out...it must feel good....and just to encourage you...my cousins little guy who is ek's age...was just potty trained...he did well and so keep at it girl....
ReplyDeleteSarah:ABA tracks their progress by percentages. For example, during a 2 hour session, they will model "stand up" for her. If she imitates that within a second or two, she's given a plus. If not, she gets a minus. Then they do the math. If she got 5 pluses out of 10 trials, she'd have 50%. Since Christmas her percentages have been pretty much zero. She just isn't doing what they asked. So for a while, she's had someone behind her helping her do what the other therapist is asking her. She doesn't get a plus for it since she's getting assistance. The past couple weeks, she's starting doing things independently. Obviously, anything is better than 0%. Some days she'll get 80% now on a specific goal. Does that make sense? I just think the new medicine is helping her process what they are asking or helping her concentrate more. Something like that...
ReplyDeleteoh okay... thanks for clarifying!
ReplyDelete