Autism Awareness Month

April is designated as Autism Awareness Month.
Have you seen/read this article? Read here.
Findings from 2008 are saying that autism effects 1 in 88 now. WOW! Some will say it's improved detection and reporting. Even if that's true, this is still a very scary statistic and one that is now 4 years old!
Early intervention is key! In our specific situation it really didn't help EK, but I'm thankful we can say that we tried things like ABA therapy, speech and occupational therapy and other biomedical interventions (like diet and supplements).
If you have concerns about your child or know a friend that has concerns, don't wait! The earlier you/they get some answers, the better. If the child is less than 3 years old, you/they can contact their state program. Texas's is called ECI (early childhood intervention).  Each state has their own version. They will come out and assess your child to see if there truly are some concerns. If the child is older than 3, talk to the pediatrician who can refer you do a developmental pediatrician if they see similar concerns.
I am thankful that there are many options out there to help kids like our EK. Ultimately, I know that EK's healing is in the Lord's hands and not just in our efforts. Praise the Lord she's not just depending on me! It doesn't mean that I just sit still and wait though. I do keep up on cutting-edge research and pray that someday soon we'll be able to give EK a voice. I am so thankful though that my God gives wisdom when I ask for it and that He walks this journey with me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...