Ice Storm 2013
A couple weeks ago, the meteorlogists predicted lots of snow/sleet/wintry mix for early Sunday morning. Keith watched the weather all day Saturday, trying to decide if we should have church or cancel. He didn't cancel and we were able to have all three services Sunday morning, however, the staff canceled a special Thanksgiving service that evening. The storm was predicted to start that afternoon. In the end, we didn't get much of anything!!
Early last week, there were predictions of some more wintry mix, but they didn't talk it up that much...until it was almost on us. (I think they were worried they'd be wrong again!) I went to the store Wednesday and again Thursday AM to get a few things like milk, juice, bread, etc. I figured even if it stormed we'd be able to get back out Saturday. Well, it was BAD!! It started Thursday afternoon (freezing rain and sleet) and schools announced closures for the following day. I can't remember the last time our district closed school the night before. They sure didn't do that when I taught! Anyway, it sleeted ALL night long. We woke up Friday to what looked like snow outside, but it was solid ice. The temps stayed below freezing all weekend so we didn't have church today. (We did have a little worship time though, which was nice and Keith shortened his sermon for the kids.) For my Northeast friends who think we're overreacting, we don't have plows with salt and sand. TX has a few and they only go on main highways and overpasses. Neighborhoods are NEVER salted. And people have no idea how to drive (although ice is very different than snow.)
In fact, the school districts are announcing school closures for tomorrow too. I was really hoping we'd get back to routine tomorrow. :( I don't like being stuck at home. EK really doesn't like being stuck at home. I let her go outside for a little bit today, but she doesn't understand the concept of it being very slippery in some spots. She also won't wear gloves so her poor fingers were frozen after a few minutes. I went out to get her to bring her in and it took me several minutes to get both of us in. Our back yard slopes and it was very slippery. AC played out in it for at least 45 minutes. She was sad when I made her come in, but EK was NOT happy that she was out there without her.
The sun came out today and even got above freezing for a couple hours this afternoon, but it will freeze again tonight. :( Hoping Tuesday is a better day. I have lots of errands to catch up on, Christmas cards to pick up and address, shopping to do, etc. It has been nice to be able to do a little on-line shopping. ;)
Keith threw some sunflower seeds out in the yard on Friday and we had several visitors, like this pretty mama cardinal.
Crazy AC out without a coat!
AK was excited to go out. He didn't care after that. Guess one time was enough...
AC tried to make a snow angel, it didn't work!
Early last week, there were predictions of some more wintry mix, but they didn't talk it up that much...until it was almost on us. (I think they were worried they'd be wrong again!) I went to the store Wednesday and again Thursday AM to get a few things like milk, juice, bread, etc. I figured even if it stormed we'd be able to get back out Saturday. Well, it was BAD!! It started Thursday afternoon (freezing rain and sleet) and schools announced closures for the following day. I can't remember the last time our district closed school the night before. They sure didn't do that when I taught! Anyway, it sleeted ALL night long. We woke up Friday to what looked like snow outside, but it was solid ice. The temps stayed below freezing all weekend so we didn't have church today. (We did have a little worship time though, which was nice and Keith shortened his sermon for the kids.) For my Northeast friends who think we're overreacting, we don't have plows with salt and sand. TX has a few and they only go on main highways and overpasses. Neighborhoods are NEVER salted. And people have no idea how to drive (although ice is very different than snow.)
In fact, the school districts are announcing school closures for tomorrow too. I was really hoping we'd get back to routine tomorrow. :( I don't like being stuck at home. EK really doesn't like being stuck at home. I let her go outside for a little bit today, but she doesn't understand the concept of it being very slippery in some spots. She also won't wear gloves so her poor fingers were frozen after a few minutes. I went out to get her to bring her in and it took me several minutes to get both of us in. Our back yard slopes and it was very slippery. AC played out in it for at least 45 minutes. She was sad when I made her come in, but EK was NOT happy that she was out there without her.
The sun came out today and even got above freezing for a couple hours this afternoon, but it will freeze again tonight. :( Hoping Tuesday is a better day. I have lots of errands to catch up on, Christmas cards to pick up and address, shopping to do, etc. It has been nice to be able to do a little on-line shopping. ;)
Keith threw some sunflower seeds out in the yard on Friday and we had several visitors, like this pretty mama cardinal.
Crazy AC out without a coat!
AK was excited to go out. He didn't care after that. Guess one time was enough...
AC tried to make a snow angel, it didn't work!





Comments
Post a Comment