Teaching thankfulness

We don't do Santa. I know, I know, I'm a mean mama. Just for the record, I'm not anti-Santa. We watch all the Santa  movies. AC knows who he is, she just knows he isn't real. Even AK has learned about Santa this year, and says "ho, ho, ho" every time he sees someone (or something) with a Santa hat on. :) I grew up with Santa and it didn't scar me. I don't remember when I realized he wasn't real, but I know I played along for a while (since I was the oldest of 4).
Anyway, we don't do gifts from Santa...for a couple reasons. When EK was small, I knew she would HATE sitting on Santa's lap. We never started that tradition b/c of it. She would still hate the tradition at age 7 if we did it. We also only give a couple gifts to each child. I did not want some fictional character getting credit for something that we bought. (Yes, that's selfish!) Because of the other two reasons, it allows us to make sure that Jesus's birth is the main thing and it's caused my kids not to have an "I want this and this and this" attitude. The past couple years, I've had AC brainstorm a few things that she'd like, so she has a response when family asks her, but I LOVE that she's not constantly talking about what she wants.
Well, the other day, it changed. (Maybe the other kids at school were talking about all the things they want?) She asked to get on the computer so she could write down the things she wanted. I let her do it for a little bit (even though at this point, most everyone has gotten her gifts.). She asked me to write her wishes down. After about 5 or 6, I reminded her that Christmas isn't just about getting presents and that she might not get these things. I went to the kitchen to start dinner. A few minutes later, she came in and said, "I know it's not about presents. It's also about family. Family is very important and I'm thankful for my mom, my dad, my sister and brother." That made me smile!! "And it's about Jesus," I said. "We're thankful that God sent Jesus."
I am so thankful for the "small lessons" I can teach my kids each day. To me, they are just as important (actually much more) than reading, math, etc. Praying the Lord will continue to help me to slow down so I use these opportunities to teach and train their hearts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...