Robert Foster 1920-2015

It is with mixed emotion that I write this post. My dear Grampa went to be with the Lord early this morning. He fell Friday afternoon and broke his hip. During the night, he developed pneumonia and went downhill quickly. After seeing him Saturday evening, I began praying that the Lord would merciful and not make him suffer long. He was on pain medicine to keep him comfortable, but it was causing some side effects which made him very confused. While I'm sad to lose him, I know he's in a far better place. I don't just say that to make me feel better. Grampa Foster was a godly man who loved the Lord and realized long ago that believing in Jesus Christ as his Savior and Lord was the only way to be saved. He served the Lord faithfully for many years, pastoring the First Baptist Church in Port Jervis, NY for over 40 years. Even after he retired, he still used the gifts the Lord gave him. He filled the pulpit in several churches and even taught a Sunday School class just a few years ago, at 90+ years old!
 My Grama passed away 4 years ago. While I was closer with my Grama, the past 4 years allowed me to grow closer to my Grampa. While he was in NY, we would talk almost weekly. A year ago, he came to TX for a few months and we checked in on him a couple times a week. I am so thankful AC and AK had those times with him. He was so sweet and gentle to them. EK also had a special place in his heart, even though he didn't see her as much. He was always so patient with her and didn't get annoyed when she was having a hard time. AC was able to get a hug almost weekly from him at church on Sunday mornings. We were able to spend his 94th birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas together this year. So many sweet memories...
While many called him Pastor Foster, I called him Grampa. He was such a kind Grampa. He was gentle, playful and downright silly at times. We spent a lot of time with my mom's parents as kids (since my Mom was an only child after her brother passed away in 1969). They took each grand kid for a week at a time over the summer. Grampa always loved to have little adventures. They took me many places while I was with them for my week. They came to visit us often and we went there quite a bit as well. They only lived 2 hours away when we lived in NY. When my family moved to TX in 1996, I still spent some time with them since I was at Houghton College in western NY. When I moved here in 1999, I didn't get to see them as often. I know it was as hard for them as it was for me and the rest of my family. Even though we didn't see each other that much, I know they prayed for me. They prayed for my future spouse, then prayed for Keith and me, and more recently prayed for my children. Many times on the phone Grampa would pray for me before we said good-bye. I am so thankful for the impact he had on my life! 

Here are a few pictures I found that show what a great Grampa he was!


Grama always packed great picnic lunches!

Grama wrote on the back of this photo that he pulled my tooth.


This picture was from their trip to TX for his 90th birthday. That was the last time we saw Grama before she went Home.

Here's a picture from his 94th birthday, just a few months ago.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...