Struggle with contentment and desiring more

You might think you know what I'm about to say. We all struggle with contentment, don't we? It may be different areas. Struggling to be content where the Lord has placed you, struggling to be content at a job, struggling to be content with the material possessions that you have. The area I struggle to be most content with is where EK is today. When she first received her autism diagnosis at age 3, she was able to speak. It was mostly repeating what she'd heard, but none the less, she had words! We really thought that starting speech therapy, occupational therapy and ABA (behavior therapy) would catch her up to her peers. I never dreamed that my 9 1/2 year old would be non-verbal, not potty trained, need me to bathe her, dress her, help feed her at times, keep a grip on her when out of the house, etc. I sometimes forget how old she is, since she certainly doesn't act like a typical 9 1/2 year old who's about to start 4th grade. And sometimes, that just makes me sad. I wonder what she'd be like if she were typical. I wonder things that she would be interested in, what kind of attitude I'd be dealing with (Maybe I am not really sad about that), how she'd take the big sister role, etc. Just so many "what if's". While I know the Lord doesn't make mistakes, I still wish we could find ways to help her more. I wish we could get her potty trained so she'd have some independence and be able to attend some special needs camps. I wish we could find a way for her to communicate, so she can have a say in what she eats or does or so she can tell me why she's sad at times. I just struggle with finding the balance of being content and desiring more.
For the most part EK is a happy girl. She loves being around other kids, she loves to be tickled, she enjoys riding horses, she enjoys going to school. I'm trying to be content with where she's at, knowing that she may not make any more progress. It's hard though. Every parent wants the best for their child. Do I stop researching and looking for things to help her? Do I just accept her the way she is? I love EK. I really do. She's a precious girl who has taught me so much. It's been a hard learning experience for me at times. It's been humbling and stressful and definitely sanctifying. I find myself in prayer more for wisdom and discernment. Lord, please help me to be what EK needs. Help me show her Jesus. Help me to be content with who You've made her to be and find joy in this journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...