Teaching and Training our Kids

I was asked to speak to a group of moms with babies through school-aged kids a few days ago on the things we are doing to teach and train our kids to know and love the Lord. It was really good for me to consider what we are using, have used and new resources I'd like to add. I want to be intentional about teaching the kids about God because if I don't plan, it won't happen. However if I'm not careful it becomes routine and almost something to check off a list. From time to time, I think we, as parents, need to evaluate what we're doing, how it's working and what needs to change. The goals I have for my kids change periodically (sometimes weekly) as I see where their strengths and weaknesses are. (Sometimes those areas of weakness are a struggle for me too.) Teaching them the gospel message is a continual thing. I want them to know about the Bible but I also pray it will change their heart. While some days are much better than others, my main purpose is to teach my kids what Christ has done on our behalf and how that changes our attitudes, actions and words.
I thought I'd share some books we use in case it's helpful for someone reading this. All of these can be bought on Amazon. I'd love to hear what you use as well.

  • Jesus Storybook Bible by Sandra Lloyd-Jones: This is a great resource to teach your kids that the Bible is one story of God redeeming a people for Himself through Jesus. 
  • Big Picture Story Bible by David R. Helm: This book has a similar idea to the story Bible above but is designed for preschoolers or those with a shorter attention span.
  • My ABC Bible Verses by Susan Hunt: I used this with AC when she was younger and using it now with AK. In addition to a Bible verse for each letter of the alphabet there is a story about application.
  • Truth and Grace by Thomas Ascol: We mainly use the catechism at the back of the book. I have periodically used the Bible verse section. 
  • Christian Heroes: Then and Now by Janet and Geoff Benge: There are many in this biography series. We read several of theses last year with AC's 3rd grade curriculum and we LOVED them! It's so encouraging (and convicting) to read about others who loved Jesus and were willing to sacrifice their lives to serve Him.
    David Livingstone, Amy Carmichael, George Muller, Nate Saint are just a few names.
  • Big Truths for Young Hearts by Bruce Ware is one I'm about to purchase and start going through with AC. It's teaches systematic theology in an easy way for kids to comprehend.
  • Seeds Family Worship (Bible verses put to song)
  • Adventures in Odyssey cd's
  • Torchlights dvd's: christian biographies (We just watched Martin Luther since the anniversary of the Reformation is coming up.)
A few to encourage you on this parenting journey:
  • Give them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick
  • Don't Make me Count to Three by Ginger Hubbard
  • Mom Enough (blog posts from Desiring God put into a book)
  • Parenting by Paul David Tripp (This one is on my nightstand to start soon. Heard great things about it)
  • Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic (I haven't bought this one yet either but again, heard good thing. The title sounds like something I can relate with right now and need.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...