Doctor visit...
Keith gets Fridays off since he works on Sundays. We usually do "family" things and/or anything I need him to help me with. This morning EK had an appointment with her doctor in Grapevine. We started seeing him in April. He ran several labs on her soon after we saw him and has helped us get her on some needed vitamins/supplements. He's a huge believer in the GFCF diet (gluten/casein free). After we got her bloodwork back, we found that she is highly allergic to gluten, casein (milk protein) and eggs. Today we went to see him to get our first round of allergy shots. It's very small doses of the things she's allergic to and should help her tolerate them in the future. Wouldn't it be great if she can eat pizza again?? :)
We dropped AC off with Miss Lee, Deanna, and Hannah. AC was quite excited to get loved on!
EK did SO well at the doctor visit. Last month she cried/screamed from the moment we walked into the office. This morning she didn't start crying until we went back in the room and she didn't get that upset. I could actually hear what the doctor was saying this time! :) All kidding aside, I am thankful for this doctor's insight and how he's helped EK feel better. We have a long way to go, but I give him a lot of credit for the progress we've seen.
We dropped AC off with Miss Lee, Deanna, and Hannah. AC was quite excited to get loved on!
EK did SO well at the doctor visit. Last month she cried/screamed from the moment we walked into the office. This morning she didn't start crying until we went back in the room and she didn't get that upset. I could actually hear what the doctor was saying this time! :) All kidding aside, I am thankful for this doctor's insight and how he's helped EK feel better. We have a long way to go, but I give him a lot of credit for the progress we've seen.
Having confidence in your doctors is so important. I'm glad that you've found a good one!
ReplyDeleteShots are never fun. :( I'm glad that EK did so well, though!
See you tomorrow! :)
That's great that you found this doctor that you like. I have a question - do you think EK has these allergies because she is autistic, or does she just happen to be allergic to gluten/casein? Miss you! adrienne
ReplyDeleteAdrienne:
ReplyDeleteGood question! I think EK had a compromised immune system early on. She had a constant cold from about 4 months old until around 15 months when we put her on Singulair. I thought she had seasonal allergies since we live in TX and everyone has allergies, but after doing the blood test, she only has food allergies. That means that when she was congested back at 4 months, it was the gluten/casein from me. (since I was nursing). I think that the compromised immune system allowed environmental factors to trigger her autism. Does that make sense? Lots of kids with autism seem to improve on a gluten/casein free diet. For whatever reason, their bodies can't digest the proteins and it causes lots of problems in the GI tract. I could explain more, but I'll stop, unless you want to hear more. :)
That makes sense. Thanks for taking time to explain! I'm interested to hear more anytime but don't feel like you have to keep going. I'm sure you could write a book of everything you've been researching and learning. Sounds like you are doing great! We are praying for you guys. Say hi to Keith, and your parents and siblings for me too. Adrienne
ReplyDelete