ABA evaluation is done!!!

A quick update...we got there early! Yeah for good directions and no bad traffic! :) We drove around until right before 9am. When we got there, they took us back to a room immediately. I hadn't planned to go back b/c I thought EK would do better without me there. But it all happened so quickly and she was already crying, so I went. EK was very upset, of course. Something I totally expected. She settled down within 15 minutes. EK didn't really work. She did a few things for me: potato head, ring stacker, and shape sorter. Most of the evaluation was based on my answers to questions. The founder of the center came in about an hour and a half into the evaluation and of course, EK lost it again. Within 10 minutes, she was calm and happy again. She was smiling and looking at both ladies, and periodically making noises (her way of communicating). Before we left, we walked around the center to see how it's set up. We were done at 11:15.
Because they weren't able to assess much today, they'll tweak her program over the next couple weeks. Their plan right now is to keep her in a room for therapy until she's more comfortable and to only use 2 different therapists. At some point, they'll move her to the "work room" (open concept with several kids and their therapist) and have her work with different therapists. We'll start the week of May 17th and do Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons from 1-3pm. I'm really eager to get started and see what they want to work on with her and how she'll do!
I'm sure there will be more posts on this in the future! :)
Thanks for your prayers! They were definitely felt!

Comments

  1. Yay! I am so glad that it went well, and that you have found a nice place for EK's therapy. It sounds like it will be a great fit for you all! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...