First day of new ABA therapy

Yesterday was our first afternoon at the Brent Woodall Foundation. EK had therapy from 1-3pm. I think I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I heard of BWF through my friend Amber. Her son goes there 3 times a week right now too. We met them in the parking lot yesterday and walked in together. A little boy from EK's preschool also attends there. EK smiled when she saw him. I think it helped her to see some familiar faces when we got there, I know it calmed my anxiety. :) The therapist that worked with EK yesterday has about 10 years experience, so I figured she could handle EK. I took EK back to the room she was going to work in and left. Might sound mean, but I wanted her interact with the therapist and not get comfortable with me being back there. She was pretty sad at first. No surprise there! After a while, I didn't hear her protests. Amber checked back at 2:30 and said she was sitting at the table working. When I peeked in the window at 2:55, I found her happy as well. She was interacting with the therapist and there was no protesting. I do realize that the therapist didn't place many demands on her, which helped. They are just getting data right now on things she likes, things she can do, etc. I'm excited to see what program they create for her in the next couple sessions. I know they will incorporate PEC (picture exchange cards). I'm excited that PECS will be used by all of us: school, home, and therapy. I'm praying that will help her get the idea faster.
Thanks for your prayers! I really felt like she had a good start at BWF yesterday! :)

Comments

  1. Oh Melissa!! That's WONDERFUL!! Praying that there are successes - even on the bad days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful to hear this news!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...