God is faithful

I haven't written an update to my bad day a week ago. I don't want you to think I'm still that discouraged. Last Friday night, Keith and I attended a dinner at church. The speakers spoke on evangelism and how we(christians)should be sharing the gospel every time we have opportunity. It was really convicting and truly reminded me of the most important: eternal things. Yes, I'd had a bad day the day before (and I'm sure I'll have more), but this life is temporary. I want my life to honor God and I want others to know how great my God is. Continue to pray for EK and that I'll have the grace to handle what comes along each day.

Our church has a monthly newsletter and each time, Keith writes a note of encouragement. Below is what he wrote this month.

Melissa and I sat holding hands in a small examination room of the developmental pediatrician that had been recommended
to us. Four months earlier, we had become concerned that our oldest daughter, Emma Kate, was having some
problems. She was incredibly sensitive to textures and noises, she was walking on her tiptoes, and her speech lacked
evidence of meaningful conversation. Over the next four months she was examined and tested by numerous specialists in
various areas of expertise. Living in the age of the internet, we had done a tremendous amount of research on her symptoms
ourselves, and had come to believe that Emma Kate might be autistic. Now, all that was left was the official diagnosis
from a doctor who specializes in the field.
As the doctor opened the door and sat down on the little rolling stool, she pulled herself very close to where we
were sitting and began to talk in quiet tones. “Your daughter is autistic, somewhere in the moderate to severe range.”
This was no surprise to us, as we had prepared ourselves for the news. Apparently, our lack of emotion led her to believe
that we had not comprehended the severity of the diagnosis, because she pulled herself even closer and whispered, “This
is devastating.”
The definition of devastate is to bring to ruin. Though we did not know what would lie ahead for our family,
we knew that part of the doctor’s diagnosis was wrong. We knew that our extended family would be supportive, and we
knew that our wonderful church family would be understanding. Most importantly, we knew that our Lord had promised
never to abandon us.
In the past year and a half since that doctor’s appointment, we have discovered that our confidence in our family,
our church, and our Lord was well founded. The road has not been an easy one. Emma Kate is involved in a daily
regimen of therapies designed to improve her speech, motor, and social skills. I would love to report that she has made a
full recovery, but though we still are praying for her healing, so far that has not been God’s plan. Though there has been
significant progress in her interaction with others, she has ceased talking almost altogether and there is no way to predict if
her speech will return.
Through this process we have shed many tears and had some difficult days. Yet, our Lord’s promise to work
all things together for good is being fulfilled. On a personal level, though, I have a long way to go. God has used Emma
Kate’s autism to make me a more sensitive and sympathetic pastor. Almost every family that I encounter has some kind
of heartbreak, and what once was a theoretical understanding of pain is now very practical. Further, all of this has made
me realize what a strong and godly woman I am married to. Melissa has, by necessity, become an armchair expert in autism,
and has become a valuable resource to other moms in our community who are going through similar circumstances.
Finally, we have seen the love and concern of our church family manifested in many ways. For those who care for Emma
Kate at church, to sweet ladies who come to visit her in our home, to her wonderful teachers at school, we thank you all.

Comments

  1. God truly is faithful. Thank you for showing such faith and encouragement in the hard times. You really are such an inspiration to me and to so many others!! I will continue to pray for EK's progress and that God will continue to grant you grace as you help her along her journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...