Sleep-deprived EEG on Friday

We have EK's EEG on Friday morning. I have been dreading this for several weeks now and will be glad to have it done! I think the hardest part is that I've never been through one of these before (and we're dealing with a non-verbal, severely autistic child). I was able to talk to a friend on Monday who has been through several EEG's with both her children. She was very honest with me about how difficult it will be, but she also told me step-by-step what would happen.

My biggest fear was that EK wouldn't fall asleep. The hospital told me to wake her at 4am and I didn't think she'd be tired enough to go back to sleep at 10am. (However, I also wondered what we would do in the wee hours of the morning as not to wake Keith and AC). This girl has not taken a nap since she was 2 years old! My friend reassured me that she will be so upset about them gluing the electrodes on her, she will wear herself out and will fall asleep. I am hoping she's right. I know EK will be unhappy the minute we get to the hospital and she'll get very worked up when they come in the room and start touching her to get the electrodes on.

As much as I hate to put her through something like this, I want to be sure her lack of progress isn't due to seizures. If she is having seizures, they are either at night or very, very quick. We haven't suspected seizures on a visual account. I did read that kids that have night seizures sometimes lose previously acquired skills and THAT is what we're seeing.

Will you pray specifically for a couple things on Friday?
**that EK will fall asleep during the EEG
** that we won't have to be there for more than several hours (I am hoping for 2 hours.)
**peace for Keith and me (and EK)
**that if seizures are really occuring, it will show up on this EEG.

Comments

  1. I can only imagine how anxious you must be feeling. Thank you so much for listing specific prayer requests. We are lifting you all up in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will be praying for you...sometimes when we have to go through this with our children..it's no fun but keep the outcome in mind...it is necessary and it will benefit ek....it sometimes helps getting you through the tough few hours....and remember...it will end and you will be home by the afternoon.....hang in there girl....when the girls are in their 20's you will look back and only wish for trials this easy....:) love and miss you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...