Update on yesterday's EEG

Thanks for all your prayers! They were definitely felt! I didn't sleep well 2 nights ago b/c I was worried about missing the alarm at 4am. I got EK up at 4am and tried to distract her for a couple hours...she ate breakfast, watched cartoons, played, etc. Thankfully, Keith and AC were able to sleep until a normal hour. :)

When we left the house at 8:30, I felt like it should already be the afternoon. We dropped AC off at a friend's house and then headed downtown to Cooks Children. There wasn't much traffic so we got there around 9am and didn't need to check-in until 9:30. Thankfully, they let us check in early and then called us back around 9:40 when our appointment wasn't until 10am.

We went back to a small room that had a bed and 2 chairs. EK got upset the second we walked in the room. The tech was very patient with EK. We had to restrain her to keep her still while the tech placed a bunch of electrods all over EK's head. I'm sure all of EK's hair added some time to this procedure. I think she was done in about 20-25 minutes. Then she told us we could have EK sit up if she wanted to, but she needed to be still so the electrods would stay in place. EK was still pretty upset at this point. The tech asked if we thought she would fall asleep and we told her that she probably wouldn't. After about 15 minutes, the tech used a strobe light.(flashing lights sometimes trigger seizures.) EK calmed down some when the light flashed and would just watch the light. Once the strobe light was over, I was hoping EK would fall asleep. She would be calm for a minute or so, and then get upset. By 10:40. we were leaving the clinic. She never fell asleep, which didn't totally surprise me, but I was a little disappointed too. I'm glad they didn't make us stay until she fell asleep b/c that truly could've taken hours! I'm praying that if she is experiencing seizures, it will show up on the test, despite the fact that she didn't fall asleep.

I thought the girl would pass out in the car from exhaustion, but she didn't. She was so happy to be going home and ate snacks the whole way. We sent her to school yesterday afternoon (warning Ms. Sharla that she might be really grumpy) b/c I knew she wouldn't nap and she'd also rather have structure and routine. Despite her rough morning, she had a decent day at school. :)

We should hear about the results in a week. A neurologist needs to look at them and then they will send the results to our pediatrician. I am relieved this part is over and am eager to hear the results. I'll let you know when we know. :) Thanks again for praying for us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...