A new year...

Wow, time does really go faster the older you get! I cannot believe we're in 2012. A new year. A fresh start. I am not one for making resolutions b/c I never seem to keep them much past the month of January. I have spent the past couple days though, reflecting on this past year and looking ahead to this year.
Some events from 2011:
Last January, we found out we were expecting baby number 3! :) My Grama passed away in her sleep at almost 87 years old and EK turned 5. In February we had a crazy snow storm that basically shut down life around here for several days. In March we got to spend some time with our friends, the Waldrops, as they spent the month in town before moving to UT to start a church plant. In April we did some things to the house and contemplated putting it on the market. The Lord allowed me to celebrate another year of life in May. In July, Keith and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. Andrew was born into our family on August 20th and EK started going to school all day on August 22nd. Aubrey turned 4 in September and Keith had a "big" birthday in November.

Even though this year has had it's ups and down, I'm reminded of the blessings God has given. He has granted us good health (for the most part), financial provision for all our needs and many of our wants, family and friends who love and support us, to name just a few.

It's easy for me to get overwhelmed these days. I have 3 kids under the age of 6, one having many special needs and one being an infant. I am sleep-deprived, which is a big one for me. Keith has been having some health issues. I think I handle stress well most of the time, but sometimes it just all piles up. Christmas break was one of those times. It was helpful for me to think back on the ways the Lord has proved himself faithful and taken care of me in the hard times.
I have been reading/researching more lately about things for EK. As I have mentioned in past posts, she isn't making much progress. She is less anxious, which is a huge blessing, but she isn't learning things. She still isn't potty trained, she isn't trying to use the ipad to make her wants/needs known, she isn't following simple commands, etc. It just breaks my heart that 3 years ago, she was doing more than she is now. It's frustrating to read/hear that other kids with autism are improving when my daughter isn't. I still don't know why (and perhaps I won't know this side of Heaven) God allowed her to talk (more than most kids with autism) and then took it away. So, there are a few tests I am hoping to have done at some point to rule out other things besides autism. We already had the Rett's syndrome test done when she was 3. She didn't show positive for that and since it's a genetic test, I don't think that can change. I think we need to have a 24 hour EEG done to rule out seizures in her sleep. (We probably should have skipped the sleep-deprived one since she didn't fall asleep.) This one could rule out LKS (Landau Kleffner Syndrome). I am a little frustrated that our neurologist hasn't suggested it since she was talking some before she lost speech, but I'll bring it up. There is also a genetic test that I want to look into that can tell deletions/additions to certain chromosomes. Maybe EK is one of the few that have autism who won't improve, but I want to know that we've looked at other things. Praying the Lord will direct my steps in this matter.

This year, I want to be more intentional about bible study, teaching my kids and being a helpmate to my husband. I always have good intentions, but they never become more than an intention. I need to make a plan and stick to it. Again, something that I am going to pray the Lord will help me with. I know he desires me to know Him more and to love my kids and husband. I am reminded of some verses in Titus 2 and am going to write them down and post them in several places around my home so I can see them. Maybe they will be helpful to you as well. **I consider myself the young woman since I have little ones at home. :)

Titus 2:3-5
Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, 4 so that they may [b]encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.

Praying that 2012 will be a year of spiritual growth in my life and the lives of my children and that God will use our family to bring glory to Himself!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 months ago today...

Autism Awareness Day

Anticipating Christmas