3 year anniversary

I have been reflecting the past couple days about how our lives changed dramatically 3 years ago. It's the anniversary of when we got EK's autism diagnosis. Although we knew it was coming, it was hard to hear. I remember feeling so overwhelmed by all the information out there and having no idea where to start. By God's grace, the Lord has brought us through some difficult times and taught me a lot. My faith is stronger because of EK's autism. Three years after the diagnosis, I still don't like autism. I would be elated if God allowed EK to wake up tomorrow without autism, but I'm not angry with Him because He hasn't chosen to heal my daughter. I continue to pray that He will heal her and at least allow her to talk again. I pray for wisdom and discernment as we make decisions to try to do what's best for EK. Autism has made me rely on His strength to make it through some days, ok, most days. Autism has changed our family and our marriage. It's changed my idea of what a family should look like and be like. Our priorities are probably different than other families. Vacations are hard. Running errands with EK in tow are difficult. Even an outing to the playground isn't easy b/c she could wander off and she doesn't always come when you call for her. No decision can be made without thinking about how it could affect EK or how I need to prepare things for her.
I don't say all this to make you feel guilty b/c your life may seem easy, compared to ours. I want it to make you grateful for all God has given you. Realize that every good gift comes from Him. Praise Him! Thank Him! Even though our current circumstances are not always pleasant, I am thankful that the trials we've been through as a family have brought us closer to each other and the Lord.
James 1:2-4 says "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing".
I truly believe that my relationship with Christ is stronger because of the trials I have endured. I am still working on having an attitude of joy in my trials, but am thankful that God has proved Himself faithful to me. I am thankful that God has allowed me to be a mom to three beautiful children. I am thankful for my sweet husband who loves me selflessly and who works diligently to provide for us. I am thankful that God has provided for all our needs and that He will continue to do so.
I have no idea what this coming year holds for our family, but I know that God will continue to teach me, guide me and grow me into the image of Christ, if I will submit my will to His. May God receive the glory!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...