Trip to NYC
Keith and I were able to get away for a couple days last week, just the two of us! (Something we couldn't have done without the help of our parents! Thanks Pops & Mimi and Papaw & Grandma!) The last time we got away for a few days was in August 2010, I believe.
We went to visit my Grampa first. We flew to LaGuardia, took a cab to Penn Station and took the NJ commuter train up to Port Jervis. I had never ridden the train up there. It was much easier than dealing with traffic! It was so good to see my Grampa. It had been almost 2 years since we had seen him. He turned 92 in November!! He is in such great health for a man his age. It's amazing!
We got to PJ around 6:30 and went and had dinner. We were able to spend Wednesday morning with him until our train departed at 1:15pm. He showed Keith around his town. It was fun to see a lot of places I hadn't seen in years! After breakfast at Elias Cole's, we stopped at Highpoint. Memories of picnics and swimming flooded back as we drove through the park. Here's a picture of me in front of the monument. :)
From the monument, you can look down into Port Jervis.
We stopped at the tri-state marker. In this spot, you are in NJ, NJ and PA. :)
My Grampa and me
Wednesday afternoon we got back on the train and arrived in Manhattan around 4pm. I had intentionally picked our hotel (The New Yorker) because it was a block from Penn Station. We were able to walk. Our hotel was great. Tiny, but clean and in a great location. Wednesday evening we walked around a little, had a quick dinner and saw a movie.
Thursday was our busy day. I had written a list of somethings I wanted Keith to see. We rode the subway downtown so we could see the World Trade Center and the 9-11 memorial.
Here's a picture of the new World Trade Center.
A view of it from the old site of the World Trade Center Buildings
The 9-11 memorial
Some names of those that lost their lives on that horrific day
Then we walked a few blocks to Battery Park. You can see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from here.
After that, we rode the subway uptown to Central Park. We walked around there for a little bit, stopped at FAO Schwartz to get the kids a little souvenir and then had lunch at the Trump Tower. It was a nice place to eat and warm up.
At Rockefeller Center...not sure why the picture is on it's side, but I like that the ice skaters are behind me, and the tree!!
A closer view of the tree....I'm sure it's gorgeous at night!
Later that night we went to Time Square. We had dinner, walked around a bit and then had some yummy dessert at the Brooklyn Diner.
Our hotel was just a few blocks from the Empire State Building. It was neat walking around and seeing it in the background.
I think I speak for both of us in saying that it was a great couple days. I loved having my husband all to myself. Being in NYC in December was just an added bonus! We had time to talk and eat (which I really enjoyed b/c it seems as soon as I (mama) decide to try and eat something at least one kid has a need that can't wait). Thankful for time away with my sweet husband!
yeah for you two....and i am jealous..i love nyc!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you guys got to get away! What a sweet blessing from God!
ReplyDelete