Reading at 5 years, 8 months

I really didn't push AC to read. I taught her letters and eventually sounds. She has always had a great memory so I also worked on some sight words before she had the patience to sound out words. :) I know there are some basics I have probably forgotten to teach her. I didn't use a phonics program and I am not used to teaching kids to read. When I taught 2nd grade, they came to me reading. Obviously, some struggled more than others, but they were all reading. So, it's been a learning experience. It's just neat to see it "click". She is able to sound out longer words now and correct herself if the word she says doesn't make sense. She picked out a book that we haven't read before. Here's a sample of her reading.

http://youtu.be/6FL1kTHAEeQ

I'm sure teaching AK will be a whole different story! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...