School next year

I remember a couple years ago, Keith mentioning the idea of homeschooling. I laughed and told him it wasn't for me. It takes me a while to process things. I really have to think through things for at least a few days before I know whether it's a good idea or not. So, after he said it, I kind of put it in the back of my mind. Well, as God has done many times in my life before now, he brings people into your life to teach you and even help you change your thought process.
As some of you know, I taught public school for six years before becoming a stay at home mom. I attended public school as a child, although I think it's one reason I strongly wanted to attend a Christian college. (I was so tired of feeling/living different from my peers.) I also worked at a christian family camp  (Shout out to Camp of the Woods!)for three summers and LOVED my time there! A couple years ago, I began teaching piano lessons just to bring in a little money and b/c I enjoy it. When EK regressed, it became very hard to have others over. I decided to only teach kids who homeschool so I could give their lesson while EK was at school. I have gotten to know some very sweet families that way. We also have more families at church who I admire greatly.
As it got closer to deciding what to do with AC, several factors came in to play. The main factor was that God changed my heart. I began getting excited about the prospect of homeschooling AC. She is a smart cookie and learns things quickly. I knew we'd have fun learning together. I thought about all the things I could teach her, things that we wouldn't get to do if she were gone for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. I knew I wanted more influence in her life right now. There are some character qualities I want to fine tune and areas I want to guide her in while she's young (and still thinks I know some things.) I also knew she didn't need to be in school for 35 hours a week. She's already reading and doing simple math. I know we can be done with all our schoolwork in 2-3 hours each day.
I want her to learn all subjects from a biblical perspective. I don't mind her learning about evolution but we'll talk about how it's only a theory that some scientists came up with and that we believe God created the Earth (and everything else) in 6 days. I want to tie in world history with events that occur in the Bible. When we read stories, I want to discuss what good, christian qualities a character exhibits and how it pleases the Lord when she emulates that or vice versa. Those are just a few ideas.
Because of our specific family situation, if AC is going to do an extra-curricular activities, she'll have to do them while EK is at school. Things like gymnastics or piano aren't something I can do with EK in tow. (I'm sure it'll be hard enough to have AK around!) I plan to start teaching her piano next year, but eventually, I hope she'll take another instrument too.
So, those are just a few things that have been on my mind as we made a decision about school for AC next year. In the DFW area, we have a huge amount of resources for homeschooling families. Not only are there lots of families to talk about curriculum with and how they "do school", there are co-ops and even part-time schools around here. Several options include the  university model schools where the schools pick the curriculum and students go 2-3 days a week in a classroom setting. The other days are school at home. It seemed like the best idea for us to start with. AK will have just turned 2 so I'm not sure how well he'll behave during "school-time" at home. (Although I'm sure he'll learn more than I think he will.) AC will go 2 days a week and then we'll homeschool the other 3 days. I'm really excited about this! Destiny Christian Academy is a christian school where she'll benefit from 2 teachers (school and home), be able to interact with peers during the week and also spend time learning with me at home. I know it won't be easy, but I think it'll be good for us. I plan to take it a year at a time. I don't know that we'll always be at DCA, but I really feel like it's a great place to start. I'll be sure to update as we go on this new journey. :)

Comments

  1. Catching up and just saw this post, Melissa. I think you'll love homeschooling. I also thought it was not for me, but for all the reasons you name, it is a privilege to be able to teach our little ones in line with Biblical truth. Most days are still short for us compared to "regular" school, and mine just finished 5th and 3rd grades!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autism Awareness Day

3 days in a row...

3 months ago today...