Charis Hills Camp
Keith and I were asked to speak to some parents of kids with special needs (most with autism) last weekend at Charis Hills Camp. We spoke there four years ago. I was surprised to know it'd been that long and to realize that, at that point, we had only been in the autism world for a year! I have learned a lot more in the past four years. We've tried lots of different things and most haven't yielded much result for our girl...ABA therapy, speech, occupational therapy, GFCF diet, supplements/vitamins, diagnostic testing(stool samples, bloodwork), homeopathy, essential oils, and more. I do think she feels pretty good overall, so some of these things are/were worth it so she isn't hurting and she's rarely sick. I was just hopeful for some cognitive progress...being able to do some of the things she did before she regressed (show body parts, label animals and what they say, sing some songs).
Anyway, I'm getting off topic. :) We really enjoyed our time last Saturday. It was a blessing to meet the different families and there is always an instant bond. We go through a lot of the same heartache and struggles. It's good to be around others who "get it" and to encourage each other.
Charis Hills Camp does a few family camps during the off-season. Their main ministry is summer camp for kids with special needs. EK isn't functioning enough independently at this point for us to send her. The campers to counselor ratios is very small. Most of the time 3:1 or sometimes even 2:1 (campers: counselors) and they have detailed lists of what foods each child can/can't have, activities they can/can't participate in, medicines they need, etc. The camp directors do this b/c they have a heart for kids with special needs and want them to enjoy things that other kids get to do. Here's a link to the website if you think your child would enjoy going or if you know of someone: Charis Hills Camp
While I wish we weren't in the "autism club" at times, I am thankful that the Lord has given us opportunities to share what He has taught us the past 5 years and to encourage other parents with truth from the Bible.
Anyway, I'm getting off topic. :) We really enjoyed our time last Saturday. It was a blessing to meet the different families and there is always an instant bond. We go through a lot of the same heartache and struggles. It's good to be around others who "get it" and to encourage each other.
Charis Hills Camp does a few family camps during the off-season. Their main ministry is summer camp for kids with special needs. EK isn't functioning enough independently at this point for us to send her. The campers to counselor ratios is very small. Most of the time 3:1 or sometimes even 2:1 (campers: counselors) and they have detailed lists of what foods each child can/can't have, activities they can/can't participate in, medicines they need, etc. The camp directors do this b/c they have a heart for kids with special needs and want them to enjoy things that other kids get to do. Here's a link to the website if you think your child would enjoy going or if you know of someone: Charis Hills Camp
While I wish we weren't in the "autism club" at times, I am thankful that the Lord has given us opportunities to share what He has taught us the past 5 years and to encourage other parents with truth from the Bible.
Comments
Post a Comment