Texas Disability Ministry Summit
Three Saturdays ago, I had the privilege of attending part of this conference. I wish I could've been there all day Saturday, but having a baby that won't take a bottle wouldn't allow for that. I took EJ with me and we went to 2 breakout sessions and visited with a few other members from our church over lunch. There were several workshops to choose from each session. Some were directed toward ministry and others toward caregivers. The first session I went to one for parents called "How to Disciple the Heart of a Special Needs Child". While I missed a little bit due to a fussy baby, it was a great session. I was reminded that I need to saturate EK's world with Christ and His truth. This is sometimes hard for me to do b/c it's not the same as when I read the Bible to AC and AK. I can ask questions and have discussions with them. With EK, it's a one-sided conversation and it's so hard to know what she comprehends. I was reminded though that I should be intentional about teaching her the Word of God and explaining to her how much God loves her. I don't need to worry about if she "gets it". I just need to be faithful in telling her the gospel. The couple , who have 4 kids (their youngest has autism), also reminded me to be particular about the music and entertainment around children. Really, this is something we need to be careful about with all kids. Kids learn so much from others, whether in person or from TV/movies. Could what I'm watching/listening to do damage to her heart?
I was also convicted to regularly show positive examples of kindness, gratitude, humility, vocal tone, facial expressions and body language. I know at times I am worn out and need a break. It's at those times that my vocal tone is more impatient and definitely not gracious and loving. I know EK picks up on it and I need to be sure that, even when I'm tired, I teach her about the gospel. With all our kids, we're not promised the outcome of being faithful to teach the gospel. God saves them, we just need to be obedient to teach the Bible and model what being a Christian is about.
So thankful that Keith kept the older three so I could spend a few hours at the conference. Hoping for the opportunity to attend something like this again in the future!
I was also convicted to regularly show positive examples of kindness, gratitude, humility, vocal tone, facial expressions and body language. I know at times I am worn out and need a break. It's at those times that my vocal tone is more impatient and definitely not gracious and loving. I know EK picks up on it and I need to be sure that, even when I'm tired, I teach her about the gospel. With all our kids, we're not promised the outcome of being faithful to teach the gospel. God saves them, we just need to be obedient to teach the Bible and model what being a Christian is about.
So thankful that Keith kept the older three so I could spend a few hours at the conference. Hoping for the opportunity to attend something like this again in the future!
Comments
Post a Comment