Prayer requests
I took EK to ABA therapy this afternoon. Keith offered, but I wanted to go so I could have 2 hours to myself. EK hasn't had school for the past 2 weeks. Needless to say, I've spent lots of time with the girls at home the past 2 weeks. Keith had meetings every night this week too. I was ready for some time alone!
When I got to the center, EK went back reluctantly with her therapist. (That's a nice way of saying she was crying as she went back.)
Prayer request #1: EK still isn't in a routine there. It's partly because she has a different therapist each time we go. It's good for her to learn to work with different people, but I feel like she's not adjusting well. Another thing that's affected settling in at ABA is that her schedule outside of ABA has changed...she finished her regular school year, had a week off, started summer school, has had the past 2 weeks off...you get the idea. I know this is life, but EK really thrives when there's routine and structure. She also isn't working consistently. One day she'll do a task 85% of the time and the next day she'll only do 40%. I can't figure out why this is and it's a little frustrating. She can't move on to different goals until she has 90-100% 2 sessions in a row.
So, I was ready to leave and do some window shopping. However, another mother struck up a conversation and I didn't want to be rude. She asked some questions about EK and her autism. Her son is 8 years old and she's been doing therapies/biomedical interventions since he was 2. This lady is a walking encyclopedia. Amazing amount of knowledge! It was really nice to chat with her, even if my lunch was waiting in the car and I had planned to do other things.
Prayer request #2: I want to use opportunites I'm given to share the hope that I have because of Christ. When you meet most moms of kids with autism, they are on a mission to save their child from autism. I know that might sound rather strange, but there are some parents who's children are recovered. Recovered from autism in the sense that if you were in a room with lots of kids, you wouldn't be able to pick them out as being different. These kids end up in mainstream education and go on to live independent, successful lives. I guess when you know that there are some kids that have overcome their autism, you want to do everything possible to do the same for your child. It's easy for it to become an obsession. There are so many theories of what causes autism/what it affects and it's sometimes overwhelming...which leads me to my next request.
Prayer request #3: I need wisdom and discernment. I've read a lot of new things to try lately. EK's doctor has suggested something. EK's pediatrician suggested something else. It's hard to know what to do. I want to be wise with the financial resources the Lord has blessed us with and only do things that will be of benefit to EK. Since every child with autism responds differently to each therapy, it's really tough to know where to go next. I trust that God will lead me in the right direction and give peace along the way.
Prayer request #4: I really want EK to talk again. Obviously, it hasn't been the Lord's will yet because I know she could talk tomorrow if the Lord allowed her too. It's really hard for me to be patient. As we get closer to October, it's just a reminder that it's almost been a year since I've heard her really speak. That really makes me sad. I really don't understand why the Lord allowed her to talk and then took it away. Even though I know the Lord could give her back her speech immediately, I'm also aware of the fact that it might not be what He chooses to do.
Prayer request #5: Pray for EK's upcoming school year. She'll be attending a new school in KISD. It's an early learning center. I know it'll be a difficult transition to change schools. There's a chance she may have a teacher change as well. That scares me a little. Again, something I have to give over to the Lord and trust that He has worked out all the details. I know that the Lord loves EK more than I do and that His plan will be the best for her. The waiting is hard for me!
PRAISE!! I have taken EK on several errands this week and she did fantastic! We ran to Target to get diapers and a couple groceries. We had lunch at McD's and she sat and ate her lunch without any protest. I took her to Sprouts (our health food store) and did a mini-grocery run. We lost her new chewy tube (bummer!) but I didn't want to take the chance to retrace our steps to find it. Our OT told me where she got them, so I'll just run there and buy a couple. ;) I'm so proud of her. Next trip may be to a restaurant where we can get in and out quickly.
Thanks for all the prayers lifted on our behalf. We definitely feel loved!
When I got to the center, EK went back reluctantly with her therapist. (That's a nice way of saying she was crying as she went back.)
Prayer request #1: EK still isn't in a routine there. It's partly because she has a different therapist each time we go. It's good for her to learn to work with different people, but I feel like she's not adjusting well. Another thing that's affected settling in at ABA is that her schedule outside of ABA has changed...she finished her regular school year, had a week off, started summer school, has had the past 2 weeks off...you get the idea. I know this is life, but EK really thrives when there's routine and structure. She also isn't working consistently. One day she'll do a task 85% of the time and the next day she'll only do 40%. I can't figure out why this is and it's a little frustrating. She can't move on to different goals until she has 90-100% 2 sessions in a row.
So, I was ready to leave and do some window shopping. However, another mother struck up a conversation and I didn't want to be rude. She asked some questions about EK and her autism. Her son is 8 years old and she's been doing therapies/biomedical interventions since he was 2. This lady is a walking encyclopedia. Amazing amount of knowledge! It was really nice to chat with her, even if my lunch was waiting in the car and I had planned to do other things.
Prayer request #2: I want to use opportunites I'm given to share the hope that I have because of Christ. When you meet most moms of kids with autism, they are on a mission to save their child from autism. I know that might sound rather strange, but there are some parents who's children are recovered. Recovered from autism in the sense that if you were in a room with lots of kids, you wouldn't be able to pick them out as being different. These kids end up in mainstream education and go on to live independent, successful lives. I guess when you know that there are some kids that have overcome their autism, you want to do everything possible to do the same for your child. It's easy for it to become an obsession. There are so many theories of what causes autism/what it affects and it's sometimes overwhelming...which leads me to my next request.
Prayer request #3: I need wisdom and discernment. I've read a lot of new things to try lately. EK's doctor has suggested something. EK's pediatrician suggested something else. It's hard to know what to do. I want to be wise with the financial resources the Lord has blessed us with and only do things that will be of benefit to EK. Since every child with autism responds differently to each therapy, it's really tough to know where to go next. I trust that God will lead me in the right direction and give peace along the way.
Prayer request #4: I really want EK to talk again. Obviously, it hasn't been the Lord's will yet because I know she could talk tomorrow if the Lord allowed her too. It's really hard for me to be patient. As we get closer to October, it's just a reminder that it's almost been a year since I've heard her really speak. That really makes me sad. I really don't understand why the Lord allowed her to talk and then took it away. Even though I know the Lord could give her back her speech immediately, I'm also aware of the fact that it might not be what He chooses to do.
Prayer request #5: Pray for EK's upcoming school year. She'll be attending a new school in KISD. It's an early learning center. I know it'll be a difficult transition to change schools. There's a chance she may have a teacher change as well. That scares me a little. Again, something I have to give over to the Lord and trust that He has worked out all the details. I know that the Lord loves EK more than I do and that His plan will be the best for her. The waiting is hard for me!
PRAISE!! I have taken EK on several errands this week and she did fantastic! We ran to Target to get diapers and a couple groceries. We had lunch at McD's and she sat and ate her lunch without any protest. I took her to Sprouts (our health food store) and did a mini-grocery run. We lost her new chewy tube (bummer!) but I didn't want to take the chance to retrace our steps to find it. Our OT told me where she got them, so I'll just run there and buy a couple. ;) I'm so proud of her. Next trip may be to a restaurant where we can get in and out quickly.
Thanks for all the prayers lifted on our behalf. We definitely feel loved!
It was great to get your input the other day - I just found your website through your fb page - I am off to church now but I just wanted to tell you that I read this entry and have added all of the prayer requests to my list - I am looking forward to being in Keller and hopefully getting together for lunch or something to catch up!
ReplyDeleteLeigh
P.S. My prayer request today is that a job comes through for me - our plans have changed in the last week (big rollercoaster ride we are on) and so I am hoping to find something in Keller or Southlake but we just found out we got a home in Keller - in McPherson Ranch:)
I'll be praying for you, sweet friend! I know God's grace is sufficient!
ReplyDelete