A worthwhile way to spend some time...

I know we're all busy and it's hard to find time to stop and listen. Last week, after a long day, I decided to get some ice cream for Keith and me. Food always puts me in a better mood. ;) On my way, I had the radio on and "Revive Our Hearts" (Nancy Leigh DeMoss is a teacher who calls women to freedom, fullness and fruitfulness in Christ) began it's program. I kept driving around town so I could listen to the entire program. I laughed, I cried, I gave a couple "amens" to what the speaker said. :)
If you have a little extra time (perhaps after the kids are in bed or even foregoing a night of TV-watching), I highly recommend listening to Rachel Barkey's testimony. She gives a biblical perspective on her struggle with cancer. Even though most of you aren't in her specific situation, I truly believe her testimony will encourage your heart. You may even be able to share it with a friend.
There are 2 different links because it aired 2 days.
Part 1
Part 2

Here are a couple things that really struck me, maybe they'll encourage you as well (and whet your appetite to go and listen to the program):
excerpts from Rachel...
**There is a natural tendency within us to try and make God who we think He is or who we think He ought to be. If all is well in our world, our view of God is unchallenged. He is good. He is loving. He is fair. But when things start to go awry, that is when our true view of God is revealed.

**My frustration and anger are normal. They are even right—some would say. But at their root, they are unbelief. They are my sinful heart saying, “I don’t believe that this is the right thing for me, God. You must not know what You are doing, or if You do, You are not good, or You are not in control, or You are just being unfair because I don’t want this, and You are not giving me what I want.”

That is what my heart naturally says, and what yours does, too, when faced with circumstances we don’t like—when someone at work is making things difficult, when someone in our family doesn’t do what we would like them to do, when accidents, natural disasters, or disease happen. But God is good. He is in control. And He is fair. When I try to make Him into a God who serves me, I sin. Our natural bent is to sin, and it is our greatest problem.


**I Peter 3:15 Always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.

**I have learned that the greatest evidence of God's love is seen when I stand at the foot of the cross. He took my shame upon Himself and rescued me. I have learned that being a Christian is not just hope for the future, although it is most definitely that, but that it is the joy of knowing and trusting in a God who is loving and faithful no matter what the circumstances.

Now, go and listen! :)

Comments

  1. Wow - that sounds really neat! I know that would give me some good food for thought. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 months ago today...

Autism Awareness Day

Anticipating Christmas