EK's 6 week progress report

I can't believe EK's been in preschool 6 weeks now! Wow! Today I had a phone conference with Ms. Sharla. :)
The most improvement so far has been that EK is "ready to learn", as Ms. Sharla puts it. Last year, EK was so anxious and upset that she was spending all her time trying to cope. There was no learning going on at first. EK has started this school year completely different. She is much calmer and happier and, therefore, able to spend time learning! Exactly what we want! :)
EK is ok with people coming into the classroom! (familiar or new) I know that might sound weird, but it was very upsetting to her last year.
EK greets everyone in the school, even new people, with a high five. :) Next goal is to work on waving.
EK uses PECS (picture exchange communication system) to make requests for snack at ABA therapy and preschool. I'm trying to get better about using them at home. We're also trying to move to making choices in activities (bubbles or book) and academically (handing a card to answer a question).
EK is doing really well with matching. They are learning a color a week and by the end of the week, EK can match an item with the picture in the book.

A couple new things I have on my list to do at home:
**look into swimming lessons: I've had several people tell me about a place that does lessons for special needs kids. The lessons run from April to September on Saturday mornings. I'm excited about starting this in the spring.
**ball pit: EK LOVES the ball pit at school. It really helps calm her. If EK isn't being worked with one-on-one, she wanders. Obviously she wanders a lot at home b/c I can't sit and work with her all day. If we can create a cozy ball pit for her to relax in (and one she couldn't climb out of on her own) I think it'd help her sit still long enough to look at a book or play with some manipulatives.
**Intentionally ask EK to get objects that aren't within arms length. We want her scanning her environment more and not just looking at things that are right in front of her.
**Get out in public more. As intimidating as this is for me, I know we need to practice. I need to plan quick trips to stores, so she can be successful. We need to try to take her to a restaurant eventually. I'll need to build up some courage for that one. :)

All in all, I think she's off to a great start this year! We are so pleased with Ms. Sharla and all her hard work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 months ago today...

Autism Awareness Day

Anticipating Christmas