Christmas Traditions
Now that AC is a little older, I am trying to be intentional about focusing this Christmas season on the true meaning...to celebrate the birth of Jesus, who came to Earth to save us from our sins by later dying on the cross. Sure, she's excited about watching Christmas movies on TV and decorating the tree and driving around at night to look at Christmas lights and getting presents (what 4 year old isn't?) but I don't want those things to overshadow Christ's birth.
Here are a few traditions that we have in our home:
*Setting up the Nativity: We have the Fisher Price one and AC loves playing with it. I think she started asking about getting the nativity out back in September. :)
*Operation Christmas Child: This was our first year to participate in making a box. AC didn't totally understand why we were making boxes to send to kids who don't have much. I think she can't comprehend that others don't have what she has. We'll keep working on the idea that we need to help others who don't have as much as us.
*Singing Christmas carols: I have a kid's christmas cd in the car (along with my Christmas music). Right now she's learning "Joy to the World" and "The First Noel".
*Advent Calendar: Our calendar this year has a different name of Jesus each day. So far, we've learned that Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, He's our Savior, He's the Creator and He's our Shepherd.(Thanks Mimi!)
*Christmas Stories for Bedtime: My mom gave us this book a year or two ago. They are short stories that break down the Christmas story and there's always an application and prayer. I really like it.
*Birthday cake for Jesus: We did this every year when I was growing up. It's something I've continued with my family.
*Christmas Eve service: I love spending time reflecting on Jesus's birth the night before Christmas. Sure, it's something we could do at home, but I love corporately praising and thanking Jesus with other brothers and sisters in Christ. AC went last year with my parents to the service geared towards small children. I went to a later service while my mom kept EK. I just didn't think EK could manage the crowd, but it's definitely something to work towards. Maybe this year. :)
*Reading the Christmas story before opening gifts on Christmas morning: This is something Keith's family always did and he'll be the first to tell you he didn't always appreciate it when he was little. I think it's a great way to start Christmas day though.
One thing I'd like to do this year is to have AC memorize part of the Christmas story. We've never done more than a verse or two at a time so we'll see how much she learns. Anyone done this and have some suggestions?
What traditions do you do in your home to keep Christmas centered on Christ? I would love hear more ideas!
Here are a few traditions that we have in our home:
*Setting up the Nativity: We have the Fisher Price one and AC loves playing with it. I think she started asking about getting the nativity out back in September. :)
*Operation Christmas Child: This was our first year to participate in making a box. AC didn't totally understand why we were making boxes to send to kids who don't have much. I think she can't comprehend that others don't have what she has. We'll keep working on the idea that we need to help others who don't have as much as us.
*Singing Christmas carols: I have a kid's christmas cd in the car (along with my Christmas music). Right now she's learning "Joy to the World" and "The First Noel".
*Advent Calendar: Our calendar this year has a different name of Jesus each day. So far, we've learned that Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, He's our Savior, He's the Creator and He's our Shepherd.(Thanks Mimi!)
*Christmas Stories for Bedtime: My mom gave us this book a year or two ago. They are short stories that break down the Christmas story and there's always an application and prayer. I really like it.
*Birthday cake for Jesus: We did this every year when I was growing up. It's something I've continued with my family.
*Christmas Eve service: I love spending time reflecting on Jesus's birth the night before Christmas. Sure, it's something we could do at home, but I love corporately praising and thanking Jesus with other brothers and sisters in Christ. AC went last year with my parents to the service geared towards small children. I went to a later service while my mom kept EK. I just didn't think EK could manage the crowd, but it's definitely something to work towards. Maybe this year. :)
*Reading the Christmas story before opening gifts on Christmas morning: This is something Keith's family always did and he'll be the first to tell you he didn't always appreciate it when he was little. I think it's a great way to start Christmas day though.
One thing I'd like to do this year is to have AC memorize part of the Christmas story. We've never done more than a verse or two at a time so we'll see how much she learns. Anyone done this and have some suggestions?
What traditions do you do in your home to keep Christmas centered on Christ? I would love hear more ideas!
Thanks so much for sharing these ideas Melissa. I've been trying to come up with traditions like these as Jonathan gets older. These are great!
ReplyDelete