Adoption
James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (NIV)
When Keith and I first met, he was an intern at our church and his main job was to preach weekly at 2 nursing homes. After we started dating, I had the privilege of serving with him. I remember him sharing this verse a couple times with me during that season. It was a blessing to minister to those older people, dear ones that couldn't do anything in return. I know that God is honored when we serve others, especially when we serve those who can't "repay" us. We shouldn't serve so that others will reciprocate the gesture or pat us on the back. We should serve others as if we're serving the Lord.
I have always been moved (usually to tears) when I hear/read stories about adoption. There's something in me that hurts for children who have no father or mother. I know it's not the way God intended it to be. Although Keith and I aren't pursuing adoption right now, we have several friends that are or have recently adopted. (And as a side note: I would love to adopt in the future. We just haven't felt the Lord leading in this area yet.) What a blessing for that family to bring in a child and give him/her the title "son" or "daughter". It's a great picture of what God has done for us. We are sons and daughters of the Most High, if we have acknowledged Jesus as Savior and Lord in our lives.
I was listening to Family Life Today on the radio last week. If you live in the DFW area, you can hear it daily at noon on 90.9 (KCBI). Below is the link of the show of a family who were obedient to the Lord's will in their lives. What a testimony of how the Lord works in one family who are willing to be used by God! :)
God's Call to Adoption
http://www.familylife.com/audio/past-programs/series-featured-in-2012/real-moms-real-jesus
What are your thoughts? I know adopting a child isn't God's will for everyone, but as christians we are called to take care of them. How can you do that? Maybe you could financially to a family that is willing to bring an orphan into their home. Adoption isn't cheap. Or perhaps you can support a child through a christian organization, like Mattaw Children's Village. The Huffmans are in Kenya rescuing orphans and raising them in homes. There's a link to Kim's blog on the sidebar. What a ministry they have!
When Keith and I first met, he was an intern at our church and his main job was to preach weekly at 2 nursing homes. After we started dating, I had the privilege of serving with him. I remember him sharing this verse a couple times with me during that season. It was a blessing to minister to those older people, dear ones that couldn't do anything in return. I know that God is honored when we serve others, especially when we serve those who can't "repay" us. We shouldn't serve so that others will reciprocate the gesture or pat us on the back. We should serve others as if we're serving the Lord.
I have always been moved (usually to tears) when I hear/read stories about adoption. There's something in me that hurts for children who have no father or mother. I know it's not the way God intended it to be. Although Keith and I aren't pursuing adoption right now, we have several friends that are or have recently adopted. (And as a side note: I would love to adopt in the future. We just haven't felt the Lord leading in this area yet.) What a blessing for that family to bring in a child and give him/her the title "son" or "daughter". It's a great picture of what God has done for us. We are sons and daughters of the Most High, if we have acknowledged Jesus as Savior and Lord in our lives.
I was listening to Family Life Today on the radio last week. If you live in the DFW area, you can hear it daily at noon on 90.9 (KCBI). Below is the link of the show of a family who were obedient to the Lord's will in their lives. What a testimony of how the Lord works in one family who are willing to be used by God! :)
God's Call to Adoption
http://www.familylife.com/audio/past-programs/series-featured-in-2012/real-moms-real-jesus
What are your thoughts? I know adopting a child isn't God's will for everyone, but as christians we are called to take care of them. How can you do that? Maybe you could financially to a family that is willing to bring an orphan into their home. Adoption isn't cheap. Or perhaps you can support a child through a christian organization, like Mattaw Children's Village. The Huffmans are in Kenya rescuing orphans and raising them in homes. There's a link to Kim's blog on the sidebar. What a ministry they have!
Thanks for posting this Melissa. I sure miss KCBI. :o) I listened to it every morning while getting ready for work before I moved away for the first time to be Jason's wife. Moving all the time, it's hard to find good stations. I just keep the CDs going these days. We are reading Russell Moore's book right now. Wow. It was my Mother's Day gift. :o) Hope y'all are well. Loved watching the big bike ride. We're working on tricycle riding right now. You have some beautiful babies!
ReplyDelete